Is it possible to passthrough AMD gpu to dockers?

short question:

Is it possible to passthrough AMD gpu to dockers?

I can only find guides referencing Nvidia...

Docker in question : emby server (gpu transcoding)

- if not can it pass through to Windows VM on unraid?

Long form question: (more info)

I just upgraded my Windows emby server (Philco) to a ryzen 3600, x570 mobo and AMD rx570.  LSI 9260-8i raid card

The upgrade was required because the CPU could not transcode x265 10bit files... then I realized my hardware raid5 was full....

so I built an UNRAID file server to expand my storage....

My unraid server (Big-D) is running on a phenom 2 1090T no gpu. crap mobo. LSI SAS 9201 - 16i

What i would like to do is combine the systems:

remove the raid card from the ryzen system, installing the SAS card, and run UNRAID with dockers.

no windows.... hopefully?!?

currently on the unraid system I have:

sonarr , radarr, jackett, delugevpn, and embyserver dockers running. working fine. but no GPU for transcoding.

Before I take my Windows emby server offline I want to make sure it is even possible to use an AMD gpu with emby docker for transcoding.

I dont want to use an Nvidia card as it has a transcode limit of 2 streams, and I already have the rx570 (3 weeks old, purchased for emby)

if it is not possible to run AMD gpu with emby docker,  please confirm that i can pass amd gpu through to a windows VM on unraid.  ( im pretty sure thats possible, right?)

Edited by TRusselo

After further research, im 80% sure cant send AMD gpu to dockers, but all threads are over a year old.. ( or it just works and nobody has problems to ask in threads).

90% sure i can sent it through to windows VM on unraid.

really wish i can get some confirmation before i rip 2 systems apart.

Edited by TRusselo
16 minutes ago, TRusselo said:

im 80% sure cant send AMD gpu to dockers,

unRaid does not include GPU drivers which would be a requirement for that, so you can bump that up to 100% (hence why the unRaid nVidia plugin exists)

17 minutes ago, TRusselo said:

90% sure i can sent it through to windows VM on unraid.

Once again 100%.  Depending of course upon the hardware, IOMMU groups etc.

Side note:

I'm undecided as to whether or not I want GPU drivers included in the base OS.  Seeing as how both nVidia and AMD update their GPU drivers (at least on Windows) seemingly every other day (presumably I think they each have an unwritten bet with Plex Inc as to who can update their software more often), I'm not sure if I want the forums spammed with threads similar to "Why hasn't unRaid updated the GPU drivers yet.  A new one was released 5 minutes ago"  But, there definitely are use cases for including the drivers (hence why the plugin exists).

14 minutes ago, Squid said:

unRaid does not include GPU drivers which would be a requirement for that, so you can bump that up to 100% (hence why the unRaid nVidia plugin exists)

Once again 100%.  Depending of course upon the hardware, IOMMU groups etc.

Side note:

I'm undecided as to whether or not I want GPU drivers included in the base OS.  Seeing as how both nVidia and AMD update their GPU drivers (at least on Windows) seemingly every other day (presumably I think they each have an unwritten bet with Plex Inc as to who can update their software more often), I'm not sure if I want the forums spammed with threads similar to "Why hasn't unRaid updated the GPU drivers yet.  A new one was released 5 minutes ago"  But, there definitely are use cases for including the drivers (hence why the plugin exists).

thank you...  where is that "side note" from?  It's lacking some context...