[SOLVED] Windows Network WORKING with NO SMB1

This is a rough first draft… I'm not a Linux expert in ANY way and barely understand what I've done here… In fact it is likely my ignorance that allowed me to make this work. Please feel free to suggest edits and improvements on this. I will edit this as appropriate.

Some time ago after the elimination of SMB1 from Windows 10 I discovered that my Media Server (Windows 10) and the other network shares offered by my Windows machines were not visible in the Network folder.

I did some research and discovered that the Network Folder could be made useful again by enabling the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services and setting them to "Automatic (Delayed Start)"

In addition I had to enable insecure guest access in Group Policy settings:

Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation

"Enable insecure guest logons"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4046019/guest-access-in-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-and-windows-ser

I did this and was happy with the result.

Once I rebuilt my Media Server with Unraid I made the discovery that my shares from the new server were missing.

I watched several videos and read a ton of forum and reddit posts that concluded that the only fix was to re-enable SMB1 on the client computers. Since my laptop spends most of its time in various corporate environments I really don't want to be responsible for brining that risk anywhere near my clients.

What Follows is not going to be an explanation of how this works - because to be honest I've used linux for exactly 10 days, and all of that has been with unraid - but rather a quick and dirty how too. I'm going to include the articles I read so that someone else may figure out any improvements or correct anything I've got wrong.

I found a reference to the fdPHost and FDResPub programs which led me to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/b8vorm/is_samba_the_best_way_to_share_files_over_a/ 

Which was written for and incompatible version of linux that uses the /etc/systemd/ folder structure. I googled WSDD for a while and came up with:

https://github.com/KoynovStas/wsdd 

Which got me looking for the init.d folder on my Unraid server and not finding that either.

Eventually it occurred to me that I should try running the script manually and see what that did. The Script can be found at:

https://github.com/christgau/wsdd/blob/master/src/wsdd.py 

So I created the wsdd file in /boot/config and dropped the text from the script into it without editing it at all.

Then made that file executable with:

chmod ugo+x wssd

Then I discovered I didn't have python so installed that from Nerd Pack.

Upon running the wssd I was immediately shown my server in my Network Folder, and the line:

root@Jupiter:/boot/config# 2019-08-18 14:32:46,463:wsdd WARNING(pid 11260): no interface given, using all interfaces

- in the console. Pressing enter brings you back to the prompt… I'll have to look into changing that.

Woo Hoo !!!

Then I added:

/boot/config/wsdd &

To my Go file and now it runs after a reboot. It shows than line on the console but everything seems to work fine.

There were a couple of red herrings along the way… I tried running it from a self created init.d folder and while that looked promising, it turns out the Go fill command I was using to create the folder and copy the files over was running after init was finished. So that didn't work at all.

Edited by Arbadacarba
  • Like 1
On 8/20/2019 at 7:15 PM, Arbadacarba said:

Well... That was a lot of work for nothing...

Perhaps not.  You have not been around here very long.  'Soon' is a 'trademarked' term on these forums.  (Not as bad as it once was back in the olden days when the term meant 'sometime in the next year--- possibly' !  🤣  )