ProxMox 6.0.4 - help needed

I followed the ProxMox setup thread by Benson here: 

I had to set the SeaBios option to get it to boot as I had the same issue found here:

Where it couldn't find the boot device.  I attached my settings below.

VMConfig.jpg

And Options:

VMOptions.JPG

I then added in my PCI Sata controller and hooked up two unformated drives.  I only added the controller that doesn't control the ProxMox drive.  Adding both causes things to hang.

Now when I start my VM I can see in the console that it is trying to boot from disk.  There is just hangs forever.  My boot order is CDROM, none, none.  Why is it trying to boot from disk instead of my USB?

If I go to the console after starting, and hit ESC for the ProxMox boot menu, I can then select the USB drive.  It is number 3 after the two hdd.  How do I make this the default?

Edited by lovingHDTV
clarification
12 hours ago, lovingHDTV said:

It is number 3 after the two hdd.

I would suggest don't passthrough the SATA controller first, then set VM BIOS from "SeaBIOS" to "OVMF" and enable Unraid UEFI boot mode.

After success booting Unraid, then try passthrough the SATA controller.

Edited by Benson

I figured out that I didn't check the UEFI boot mode when I made my unRaid USB drive and that is probably why I couldn't get UEFI to boot and had to revert to SeaBIOS.  I'll remake the USB stick and try again.

UPDATE: Yes checking the UEFI button in the UnRaid download tool does in fact let me boot in UEFI mode and it boots properly off the USB drive in this manner.

thanks

Edited by lovingHDTV

I'm currently trying to get the GPU to pass through.  Has anyone done this successfully?

I have gotten it working when I boot straight into UnRaid using Plex, but I cannot get it to work with using ProxMox.

I followed this guide, but did not include downloading the ROM.

Still looking for the right way to do this.

thanks

Not sure if this will help, but I can currently see the GPU with lspci -v, but for some reason I still get:

Aug 20 09:53:53 Tower2 kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffff:1133)
Aug 20 09:53:53 Tower2 kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]
)
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
        Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        [virtual] Memory at 800000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at 810000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
        I/O ports at d000 [size=128]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at c1020000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [250] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
        Capabilities: [420] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia

I've searched for this error, but didn't ever find an answer.  

• 9 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 6:40 PM, lovingHDTV said:

I'm currently trying to get the GPU to pass through.  Has anyone done this successfully?

I have gotten it working when I boot straight into UnRaid using Plex, but I cannot get it to work with using ProxMox.

I followed this guide, but did not include downloading the ROM.

Still looking for the right way to do this.

thanks

Not sure if you found a solution to this yet but after banging my head against the wall for an extremely long time I found that the solution (at least in my case) was pretty simple.  Nvidia drivers seem to (intentionally?) cause errors if they detect a hypervisor.  I found numerous people using straight QEMU, etc, that enable a "hidden" option in their XML file but Proxmox doesn't use that format.  I finally found that there is an option for Proxmox but it's not available in the GUI.  You'll need to edit the VM's config file (/etc/pve/qemu-server/XXX.conf) and add "hidden=1" to the CPU line.  For example, I am using the host CPU emulation so my line is:

cpu: host,hidden=1

You could also use "cpu: kvm64,hidden=1" etc, etc.  Once you add this and start the VM up the Nvidia drivers should start responding to you properly.  I am using a GTX 745 on an Ubuntu 20.04 VM and a Quadro K600 on a Pop!_OS 20.04 VM using Proxmox 6.2-4

Reference: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=875