Unraid only boots to gui mode

Hi, I have a strange problem, after about 6.7.2 I started having a strange problem. When ever i reboot the server if I boot to non-gui mode (default) I get a Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0). there are a few other errors. This is consistang It will not boot, but if I change it to boot to the gui mode the server boots fine. I have currently updated to the latest 6.7.3-rc2 and still have this problem. Makes it difficult to reboot since this is normally a headless server. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this.

15767.jpeg

Not sure why you are getting the issue.   There have been previous reports of some motherboards only booting in GUI mode but I am not sure any root cause has ever been identified.

I do not understand the comment about it being difficult to reboot if you boot in gui mode?    I have mine set to default to that even though my Unraid server is normally running headless (just in case I want to plug in a monitor+keyboard) and it does not stop me rebooting in any way.  

I have been using this system for around 2 years with no changed other than installing more hard drives. 6.7.2 brought a couple issues, this is one. The reason I say that its going to be difficult is because everytime I have to reboot I have to hook up a monitor and keyboard and select the gui mode in the bios. I can try to set it to just default to the gui mode but I dont like hiding problems, they tend to stack up and lead to larger problems down the line. The other problem that just started is that Unarid no longer sees andy drives attached to my SATA PCIE adapter, the bios and adapter see the drives but unraid does not. I even tried moving the PCIE card to another slot but no success.

2 hours ago, reyes136 said:

The other problem that just started is that Unarid no longer sees andy drives attached to my SATA PCIE adapter, the bios and adapter see the drives but unraid does not. I even tried moving the PCIE card to another slot but no success.

Does your PCIe SATA card/HBA have a Marvell chipset? If so, this is likely your problem.  Marvell drivers do not play well with recent Linux kernels.  The result is that attached disks do not appear, or once recognized, they frequently disappear from unRAID.

It might be helpful to post your diagnostics (Tools --> diagnostics in the GUI).

A while ago I had a similar issue with booting.  My server would not boot except in GUI mode; just a flashing cursor on the screen otherwise.  It turned out something had changed in the Lunux kernel, drivers, etc, that required that I boot in UEFI and not legacy BIOS.  As soon as I made that change in unRAID and my MB BIOS, I have not had an issue.  I don't know if this is your issue as I never saw any kernel panics.

Edited by Hoopster

I do have a Marvell chipset PCIe card so that must be my issue, I just ordered a tested card from the unraid wiki so I dont have to deal with that, I also set my unraid to default to the gui for now to resolve the boot issue. Guess ill just go that route for now. Thank you everyone for your help.

7 minutes ago, reyes136 said:

I just ordered a tested card from the unraid wiki so I dont have to deal with that

The unRAID Wiki is very out of date.  Depending on the card you ordered you may be fine.  The current recommendation is a card based on LSI chip such as:

any LSI card with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode such as the 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc. or clones like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015. The Dell and IBM cards need to be crossflashed to LSI IT firmware.

I have the Dell H310.