Kernel patch to use drives on a P410i controller in "HBA" mode

5 minutes ago, grugo said:

The repo has 2 parts.

Exactly, that's clear to me.

So the tool that's also part of the repo would also a nice to have because you can change the controller mode? I'm only asking because of this comment:

13 hours ago, grugo said:

I don't think it would be necessary to install the hpsahba tool (maybe in a separated docker?). 

7 minutes ago, grugo said:

After the patch, this functionality is disabled by default. To enable, load module hpsa with parameter hpsa_use_nvram_hba_flag set to "1". Or set it in the kernel command line: "hpsa.hpsa_use_nvram_hba_flag=1". Or even edit syslinux.cfg to include the flags. But patchs need to be done before, if not, the module will have no idea what flag are you talking about.

That's also clear to me, trying now to find the best way to implement this one way would be through the Unraid Kernel Helper and one possible way I could think of is a Plugin, will try it after the weekend -> family time...

8 minutes ago, grugo said:

HPESSA

Sorry didn't noticed that this is another tool because of this super individual acronyms of HP... :D

So the tool that's also part of the repo would also a nice to have because you can change the controller mode? I'm only asking because of this comment:

Yes, it would, but I don't know how much of the host you need to implement and use this on a container.

That's also clear to me, trying now to find the best way to implement this one way would be through the Unraid Kernel Helper and one possible way I could think of is a Plugin, will try it after the weekend -> family time...

No rush at all. Compiling patchs with Kernel Helper works. Do have in mind Unraid kernel versions, patch are different.

15 minutes ago, grugo said:

Yes, it would, but I don't know how much of the host you need to implement and use this on a container.

Why in a container, I would implement that directly into the Plugin itself so you can run the command directly from the command line.

16 minutes ago, grugo said:

No rush at all. Compiling patchs with Kernel Helper works. Do have in mind Unraid kernel versions, patch are different.

Yes I know, I also have DVB Drivers and a few other things that needs compiling when a new Kernel is released in my repo and this would be no problem to compile it in one run with the other things. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into this (thanks for the hard work on it!), I've applied the kernel patch and I saw the plug in was available on the CA, so installed it.  When I open the terminal though and type "hpsahba -v", it's saying command not found.  Is it still being worked on or have I hit a bug?  I'm on the RC2 beta.

1 hour ago, John W said:

I've been looking into this (thanks for the hard work on it!), I've applied the kernel patch and I saw the plug in was available on the CA, so installed it.  When I open the terminal though and type "hpsahba -v", it's saying command not found.  Is it still being worked on or have I hit a bug?  I'm on the RC2 beta.

What was the output when you installed the plugin, have you closed it with the red X in the top right corner or have you waited until it finished downloading and pressed DONE?

EDIT: Try to uninstall the plugin and reinstall it from the CA App please.

22 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What was the output when you installed the plugin, have you closed it with the red X in the top right corner or have you waited until it finished downloading and pressed DONE?

EDIT: Try to uninstall the plugin and reinstall it from the CA App please.

I had downloaded it and waited for the done message, but I can't recall what the output was at the time.  I've done the reinstall as you suggested though and got the following steps performed.

Uninstalled plugin, rebooted server.
Reinstalled plugin.  Output was: -

plugin: installing: https://github.com/ich777/unraid-hpsahba/raw/master/hpsahba.plg
plugin: downloading https://github.com/ich777/unraid-hpsahba/raw/master/hpsahba.plg
plugin: downloading: https://github.com/ich777/unraid-hpsahba/raw/master/hpsahba.plg ... done
+==============================================================================
| WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
|
| Don't close this window with the red 'X' in the top right corner until the 'DONE' button is displayed!
|
| WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
+==============================================================================
-----------------Downloading hpsahba Patch, please wait...!--------------------
-----------This could take some time, please don't close this window!----------
-------------Sucessfully downloaded hpsahba Patch, please wait...!--------------
----------------------hpsahba Patch already installed...!----------------------
plugin: hpsahba.plg installed
Updating Support Links
hpsahba --> https://forums.unraid.net/topic/92865-support-ich777-nvidiadvb-kernel-helperbuilder-docker/
Finished Installing. If the DONE button did not appear, then you will need to click the red X in the top right corner

Clicked on done, opened the console and entered hpsahba -v and got bash: hpsahba: command not found.

I'm not sure, is that line hpsahba patch already installed confirming the kernel patches are in, which they should be as I used the kernel helper to get them in, or is it thinking the command is already installed?

6 minutes ago, John W said:

I'm not sure, is that line hpsahba patch already installed confirming the kernel patches are in, which they should be as I used the kernel helper to get them in, or is it thinking the command is already installed?

If you integrate all with the Kernel-Helper all should be integrated and no plugin is needed anymore...

Just now, ich777 said:

Have you installed the plugin?

What have you integrated in the build with the kernel helper?

Yup, the plugin is installed and listed under the Plugins tab, and on the kernel helper, I set the RMRR patch to true (which applied successfully as I can see it's relaxed settings now) and hpsahba is also set to true.

1 minute ago, grugo said:

Also, try

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/hpsahba -h

root@UnRAID:~# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/hpsahba -h
bash: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/hpsahba: Is a directory
root@UnRAID:~# ls /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/hpsahba
README.md

That plugin doesn't look right...  ?

Just now, John W said:

Yup, the plugin is installed and listed under the Plugins tab, and on the kernel helper, I set the RMRR patch to true (which applied successfully as I can see it's relaxed settings now) and hpsahba is also set to true.

The hpsahba file should be located in /usr/bin.

The path in /usr/local is just the plugin so that it displays and contains only the Readme

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

The hpsahba file should be located in /usr/bin.

The path in /usr/local is just the plugin so that it displays and contains only the Readme

Nothing there, I go hardlink, head, hexdump, hmac256, host, hostid, htop and then onto the i's

Try to build it without the hpsahba patch eventually I got a typo in there will report back after I rebuilded it.

Just to make sure I'm clear on what to do.  Uninstall the hpsahba patch, rebuild a new kernel with the setting to false, replace files, reboot, reinstall the hpsahba patch?

3 minutes ago, John W said:

Nothing there, I go hardlink, head, hexdump, hmac256, host, hostid, htop and then onto the i's

Can you try to go to do the following:

cd /boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1/

installpkg hpsahba-1.txz

Then you can execute it, I think there is something wrong when you build it with the kernel helper, I will investigate, the above is just a workaround for now.

EDIT: With the plugin installed... I will report back when I know more.

• Thanks 1

Can you try to go to do the following:

cd /boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1/

installpkg hpsahba-1.txz

Then you can execute it, I think there is something wrong when you build it with the kernel helper, I will investigate, the above is just a workaround for now.

root@UnRAID:/usr/bin# cd /boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1/
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# ls
hpsahba-1.txz
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# installpkg hpsahba-1.txz
Verifying package hpsahba-1.txz.
Installing package hpsahba-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Package hpsahba-1.txz installed.
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# hpsahba -h
hpsahba version 0.0.0, Copyright (C) 2018  Ivan Mironov <mironov.ivan@gmail.com>

Usage:
        hpsahba -h
        hpsahba -v
        hpsahba -i /dev/sgN
        hpsahba -E /dev/sgN
        hpsahba -d /dev/sgN

Options:
        -h
                Print this help message and exit.

-v
                Print version number and exit.

-i <device path>
                Get information about HP Smart Array controller.

-E <device path>
                Enable HBA mode on controller.

-d <device path>
                Disable HBA mode on controller.
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# 

That got it! :D

• Like 1