Kernel patch to use drives on a P410i controller in "HBA" mode

Just now, John W said:

root@UnRAID:/usr/bin# cd /boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1/
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# ls
hpsahba-1.txz
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# installpkg hpsahba-1.txz
Verifying package hpsahba-1.txz.
Installing package hpsahba-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Package hpsahba-1.txz installed.
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# hpsahba -h
hpsahba version 0.0.0, Copyright (C) 2018  Ivan Mironov <mironov.ivan@gmail.com>

Usage:
        hpsahba -h
        hpsahba -v
        hpsahba -i /dev/sgN
        hpsahba -E /dev/sgN
        hpsahba -d /dev/sgN

Options:
        -h
                Print this help message and exit.

-v
                Print version number and exit.

-i <device path>
                Get information about HP Smart Array controller.

-E <device path>
                Enable HBA mode on controller.

-d <device path>
                Disable HBA mode on controller.
root@UnRAID:/boot/config/plugins/hpsahba/packages/5.10.1# 

That got it! :D

Yes, I know but that is just a temporary solution. I will report back on how to make this work or make it work like it should.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, John W said:

That's great.  I'm subscribed to the topic, so as soon as you do I'll get a ping and report back to you!  

I've now tried to build a kernel on my own and it works just fine, are you sure that you replaced all files including the bzroot?

If you don't replaced the bzroot it can't work...

I think @1812 put  in his RMRR patch thread that the replacement of the bzroot isn't necessary but it is if you build something else or at least something additional with the Kernel Helper, have to ask if he can remove that sentence.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I've now tried to build a kernel on my own and it works just fine, are you sure that you replaced all files including the bzroot?

If you don't replaced the bzroot it can't work...

I think @1812 put  in his RMRR patch thread that the replacement of the bzroot isn't necessary but it is if you build something else or at least something additional with the Kernel Helper, have to ask if he can remove that sentence.

So done a ctrl+a and drag n drop, so even the sha files went over, but looking again after you've posted this, it seems that the bzroot file still had an old modification date and didn't match the others, so I've replaced it again with the file in the output folder and it's updated.  Something so simple >.<

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hey @ich777 , I've tried compiling the kernel with the patch and copied the files over, but, as far as I can tell, it hasn't changed anything, I've added `options hpsa hpsa_use_nvram_hba_flag=1` to /etc/modprobe.d/hpsa.conf, but it just gets rid of that file on reboot. 

When I try `hpsahba -i` on any of the `/dev/sg` devices, it either comes back with `FATAL ERROR: /dev/sg0: ioctl(CCISS_PASSTHRU) failed with command BMIC_IDENTIFY_CONTROLLER, rc == -1: 22 Invalid argument` or `FATAL ERROR: /dev/sg12: ioctl(CCISS_PASSTHRU) failed with command BMIC_IDENTIFY_CONTROLLER, rc == -1: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for device`

I've tried compiling the kernel twice and nothing's changed.

22 minutes ago, sfulham1 said:

Hey @ich777 , I've tried compiling the kernel with the patch and copied the files over, but, as far as I can tell, it hasn't changed anything, I've added `options hpsa hpsa_use_nvram_hba_flag=1` to /etc/modprobe.d/hpsa.conf, but it just gets rid of that file on reboot. 

When I try `hpsahba -i` on any of the `/dev/sg` devices, it either comes back with `FATAL ERROR: /dev/sg0: ioctl(CCISS_PASSTHRU) failed with command BMIC_IDENTIFY_CONTROLLER, rc == -1: 22 Invalid argument` or `FATAL ERROR: /dev/sg12: ioctl(CCISS_PASSTHRU) failed with command BMIC_IDENTIFY_CONTROLLER, rc == -1: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for device`

I've tried compiling the kernel twice and nothing's changed.

On what unRAID version are you?

You know that you don't have to compile the Kernel since there is a plugin available for that in the CA App:

grafik.png.5ba330f8f4feee80b5616685414d6ecb.png

You don't have to modify anything after installing the plugin, just do a reboot after the first installation.

19 minutes ago, ich777 said:

On what unRAID version are you?

You know that you don't have to compile the Kernel since there is a plugin available for that in the CA App:

grafik.png.5ba330f8f4feee80b5616685414d6ecb.png

You don't have to modify anything after installing the plugin, just do a reboot after the first installation.

Apparently I already had it installed, but the drives won't show up in the array 

1 hour ago, sfulham1 said:

Apparently I already had it installed, but the drives won't show up in the array 

Please don't install a plugin and also install a custom Kernel.

What have you done exactly and also as asked above on which unRAID version are you?

Eventually @1812 can help, I don't own such a controller.

Have you already read the linked Github repository how to enable the drives?

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, ajnichol2001 said:

and working but when i reboot the server the drives disappear and i have to re endable hba mode is this correct?

What controller do you have?

You can try to enable the drives by editing the go file and enabling it before emhttp is called, something like (/boot/config/go):

#!/bin/bash
# Enable devices
hpsahba -E /dev/sgX

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Of course change /dev/sgX to whatever you want to enable and append lines for devices as you need, you have to actually restart to test if this is working.