Identify what is 'reading' my disk? [SOLVED]

Guys, i'm doing a parity rebuild (2x10TB parity drives, 8x8TB data drives). The parity is at 92%, all of my data drives except one have spun down as expected. The last one is showing constant read activity?? Checked the only media share on there and cannot see any 'rogue' folders whcih could be being accessed. No other processes that i can see, no active streams (dynamix)), nothing, nada, zilch. Any way to log the activity of this drive, it's weird.

Edited by superloopy1
2 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

should i really be 'mover;ing stuff during a parity rebuild or doesnt it matter?

It doesn't break anything to use the array during parity builds, but it will slow both activities to a small percent of capacity. Made up numbers here, but if the parity build could run at 100MB/s if it was the only thing running, you may only get 20MB/s if you are moving files on the array. Similarly, if you would normally get 50MB/s moving files on the array, you may only see 5MB/s if a parity build is happening at the same time.

Best to wait.

Thanks for that, understood.

I've picked up quite a bit of info today all to do with mover scheduling which i wasn't making use of .... turbowrite, mover scheduling, both plugins now installed and ready to be tested. Reason for all this was that mover kicked in and not knowing how to stop it i just let it go. Everything slowed to a crawl for hours, and still is, but when mover finished i thought that parity rebuild would pick up, it didn't due to the bunker stuff also going on as a result of the considerable moves. Lessons learned!!

• 3 years later...
On 8/20/2019 at 2:50 PM, superloopy1 said:

Just sussed it .... bunker/md5sum seems to be the culprit after mover ran earlier.

May as well use the post to some good ... one more question ... should i really be 'mover;ing stuff during a parity rebuild or doesnt it matter?

Please explain how you fixed it ? What do you mean bunker/md5sum. I’m having the same issue but don’t know what to do