iTunes

Hey,

I currently have all my music (iTunes) stored locally on my MacBook Pro. I like having it local as then I can play tracks in higher quality than the ones on iTunes in the Cloud. I do have iTunes in the Cloud set up and anything I add to iTunes automatically gets added to that as well so I can play tracks on my phone or my work laptop.

Basically, I am really running out of space on my laptop and think it's time to move my local music onto my Unraid server.

Does anyone have a guide on doing this? I basically want to move all the local files over to Unraid but so I can still access them from iTunes in some way when I am at home but when i'm out I can just stream them from iTunes in the Cloud.

Also, how does syncing tracks manually to my iPhone work when this is configured?  Eg, I like to do a manual sync of tracks to my phone for when i'm travelling in order to save data.

Kind regards,

Neil

I’ve never tried this, so no guarantees, but you should be able to create an iTunes share on your server and just copy your iTunes library to it. When you point the iTunes app to that share it shouldn’t care where it is hosted at as long as it is mounted on the mac with the app. Just copy everything first to test though. You’ll also need to be sure the share is always mounted to. Add it to your login items or use an app like AutoMounter. I like AutoMounter better since it will always remount the share whenever it is available rather than just at login.

Well i do like to use itunes whilst i am not at home (my server is only on whilst im at home) and if the iTunes folder is on the server then my library file won;t be able to be found.  I did think about moving everything excluding the library file over but itunes is not smart and it tries to find a track file, fails and doesn;t think to just check if it's available for streaming.