[Solved] Does upgrading to E5450 from E8400 would be beneficial?

as the title suggests, since it is cheap anyways, i am thinking about upgrading my current processor from e8400 to e5450, but wondering if it would yield any benefits in my case. regularly, my unraid is used as nas for movies and music. occasionally, for encoding/re-encoding, and copying/backing up files to and from unassigned drives into array.

current os: unraid 6.7.0

motherboard: ep43-ud3l

cpu: e8400

ram: g.skill 2x2gb (4gb total)

gpu: xfx radeon hd 5750

(off topic)

also while i am at it, the chipset on this board does not support vt-d which renders the gpu in the system "useless." is there any way i could benefit from it here?

cheers

Edited by iilied
1 minute ago, bonienl said:

The Xeon E5450 uses a different socket and isn't supported on your current motherboard.

Personally, when looking for a (substantial) upgrade I would go more latest technology. AMD Ryzen might give you a good price/performance solution.

modified e5450 works on lga 775… and it's only 11 dollar upgrade.

13 hours ago, bonienl said:

The Q9650 has a passmark score of 4159 while the E8400 has a score of 2149.

This almost double the score, you would see some improvement, but as absolute number it is still low, don't expect it to do heavy workload, like encoding multiple plex streams.

so in theory, this slashes half the time i wait to do a certain process?

8 hours ago, spazmc said:

The only guy cheaper than me.

I would look at used i5's desktops on ebay.

this is a retired old pc of mine, used almost ten years ago, for couple of years only, as a daily driver/gaming machine. i was about to throw it for scraps or give away its parts before a friend of mine suggested i turn it into an unraid nas as i had storage and also physical space problems with around 6–8x2tb wds lying around. this idea never even occurred to me in the first place, so why not have fun with it now! it has been running quite fantastic since december last year, and been serving me well in regards to my storage issues. it is not perfect, but it does the job. and as of now, only looking to add more memory and "horsepower" in it to reach its max.

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

No, a higher passmark score doesn't mean it is twice as fast, but has potential higher workload, specifically when it comes to concurrent tasks.

okay… so let us say would this affect the performance of preclear, parity check, plex analysis, folder caching, and copying files from unassigned drives to array significantly?

36 minutes ago, iilied said:

okay… so let us say would this affect the performance of preclear, parity check, plex analysis, folder caching, and copying files from unassigned drives to array significantly?

No. According to your signature you are using some rather slow drives, so all the tasks you are referencing will be limited by the speed of those old drives.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:28 PM, jonathanm said:

No. According to your signature you are using some rather slow drives, so all the tasks you are referencing will be limited by the speed of those old drives.

guess it is better investing those 11 dollars to treat my belly with a burrito!