SAS to SATA Adapter?

noja

So I have a couple of new SAS drives coming in for my Unraid build. I have an X8DTL-3F in a Rosewill RSV-L4500 with 12 drives. 4 drives are on a SATA expander and I have an LSI 9211-8i P20 in IT mode which currently is connected to 8 drives via SATA. I know I need to run the new SAS drives through the HBA, but I have a couple of different options and I’m not sure which way to go.

Options then:

1 - I can get the SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 cable like these, but then I’d have to connect two existing drives to the SATA expander card which I’d like to move away from.

2 - I can keep the SFF-8087 to (4) SATA connection and get two adapters like these.

Is there any real difference between either option? Is one better than the other?

Realistically, I’d love to get another HBA, but you can see in the photo that I’ve dropped a fan on the north bridge heatsink. Fun aspect about this mobo is that that bridge will overheat and shut the system down otherwise. Therefore, I don’t know that I really have an ability to put something over that heat sink and still keep a fan there.

Thanks for any help!

19-04-11 18-23-05 4708.jpg

Sorry yes, I'm using a SATA controller card.  So I understand that no matter what, the SAS drive will have to run through the LSI HBA.  I'm just wondering about the necessary cables. 

Can I keep using the same SFF-8087 to SATA cable and just put an adapter between cable and drive? Or do I need to use SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 for the drives to work?

41 minutes ago, noja said:

Sorry yes, I'm using a SATA controller card.  So I understand that no matter what, the SAS drive will have to run through the LSI HBA.  I'm just wondering about the necessary cables. 

Can I keep using the same SFF-8087 to SATA cable and just put an adapter between cable and drive? Or do I need to use SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 for the drives to work?

Note, it should work with those adapter .

Edited by Benson