Supermicro X9SCM-F and GPU

The X9SCM-F only has x8 physical PCIE slots; 2 closest to CPU are PCIE 3.0, so they will work with either x8 gpu (not sure of they exist) or some sort of accommodation for x16 gpu.

Either a physical x16>x8 adapter or x16>x8 ribbon cable will work.  Another option is opening end of x16 slot, but then clearance of onboard SMC's is a factor, as well as possibility of slot damage.

I used a x16>x8 slot adapter, along with longer bracket screw standoffs with this motherboard.  Works fine as long as you have 3U/4U chassis to allow for additional height of adapter.

I have the same setup. I used a Dremel cutting wheel to cut off the back of the pci slot. I went very slow and made sure not to damage the pins. It was not what I would consider an easy task. I was not patient enough to wait for 16x>8x adapter. I used the 2nd pci slot as my video card covers two of the lower pci slots. I have my SAS HBA plugged into the first slot closest to the CPU. The graphics card is obviously only running at 8x pcie but it is fine for what little gaming I do. 1080p monitor. If I was patient I would have gone the adapter route personally.

• 2 weeks later...