Multiple Arrays

Go to solution Solved by Ralf.,

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not sure I understand?  I would expect each share to be restricted to a specific array?

If I want my dockers on the "main" unraid, how I can easily (and without performances loss) share my unraid shares that are on the hosted unraid. And multiples unraid are not so easy compared to one unraid with multiple arrays.  

2 hours ago, Squid said:

I'm still not understanding exactly what you want here...  What shares do you mean by "main" unraid (and the dockers having access to them) and what are you talking by easily sharing the unraid shares....

I think he's talking about this suggestion:

If you have multiple array licences then you could get multiple arrays now by running additional instances of Unraid in VM's  and passing through the disk drives to these additional VMs.   This is the technique I use to run multiple test instances of Unraid hosted on one production machine but see no reason why it could not be multiple production instances.

The Unassigned Disks has facility to mount remote shares in the GUI.  These get mounted to /mnt/remotes.  You could then assign these folders to dockers on the primary Unraid server.  This is theoretically possible, but there will likely be some issues around timing for auto-mount as the nested Unraid won't be available when the primary Unraid array starts.  And I think where you fix these remote mounts after the docker has started, you will need to restart the docker in order for it to see the files?  Not sure but I recall something like this from my testing.  Using multiple cache pools on a single Unraid server would be the simpler option for now.

Or, live with a single array for now.  This will be much easier to transfer to multiple arrays when this feature is added as your data will just be on standard XFS formatted disks, and you can (carefully) assign these to a different array later without needing to transfer data.

Edited by jortan
  • 4 months later...
8 hours ago, OctopusVPS said:

2 array SSD with parity for docker and vm and cache (cache is downloades files or trash files)

Why just create 2 RAID1 pools with the SSDs ? (or another BTRFS RAID profile)

But maybe I do not understand what you mean by that :

Or someone have better way to protect dockers and vms without shutdown ?

10 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Why just create 2 RAID1 pools with the SSDs ? (or another BTRFS RAID profile)

But maybe I do not understand what you mean by that :

I want 1 array for data and second for dockers snd vms. 

I think about backup/protect dockers and vms on second array by parity. I know about plugins to backup dockers and vms but i must shutdown dockers and vms to create backups. Its not good for me. I like protect dockers and vms by array parity ;)

2 hours ago, dada051 said:

Create an cache pool with raid 1 (2 disks, protection by mirroring disks) , unraid parity is not good with SSD/trim

Ok i understand :)

Tehn i add second SSD to my pool and set to RAID 1 then in share i see green dot ?

* shares with keylock is on SSD pool

shares.png

mutli Arrays +1

I want to use some disks for write-heavy tasks without parity, because it works so slow with parity.

And the other disks are protected by parity for my important data.

I have tried to create a cache pool for write-heavy tasks, but the IO performence is so poor.

At last, I abanden the parity disk,  put all disk in one arrary, and create shares only in some disks for write-heavy tasks.

I'm afraid about my data in other disks, so I have to backup them weekly..

You can do this with cache pool. I think if we need multiple arrays, it's because we need multiple arrays with parity. If we don't need parity, we can do unassigned devices or cache pool. For SSD, the same (as unraid parity is not great with SSD). Multiple arrays allow to reduce the mix of drives like 5x 2TB 5400rpm 2.5" laptop drives and 4x 14TB 7200rpm 3.5" NAS class drives for example, and it allow "turbo write" on theses drives without waking up all the drives

• Like 1
On 5/19/2022 at 6:44 PM, dada051 said:

You can do this with cache pool. I think if we need multiple arrays, it's because we need multiple arrays with parity. If we don't need parity, we can do unassigned devices or cache pool. For SSD, the same (as unraid parity is not great with SSD). Multiple arrays allow to reduce the mix of drives like 5x 2TB 5400rpm 2.5" laptop drives and 4x 14TB 7200rpm 3.5" NAS class drives for example, and it allow "turbo write" on theses drives without waking up all the drives

Cache pool's IO performens is so poor, I think btrfs cause that

On 5/19/2022 at 2:04 AM, OctopusVPS said:

I want 1 array for data and second for dockers snd vms. 

I think about backup/protect dockers and vms on second array by parity. I know about plugins to backup dockers and vms but i must shutdown dockers and vms to create backups. Its not good for me. I like protect dockers and vms by array parity ;)

You may want to look at ZFS + snapshots using sanoid + syncoid if you want to replicate those snapshots to another machine.  It's a lot more manual work to configure and maintain, but a good learning experience if you're up for it.  It seems native ZFS support will be coming to Unraid eventually.   It's great for running dockers/vms, though with ZFS you don't have the ability to cache writes to the array within Unraid like you can with the built-in "pool" functionality (my guess is this will be possible when Unraid supports ZFS natively)

There's a number of Youtube guides for implementing ZFS in Unraid also.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:57 AM, SeanOne said:

I have tried to create a cache pool for write-heavy tasks, but the IO performence is so poor

It is normally an order of magnitude faster than accessing the main parity protected array, so not sure what performance you were getting to give this impression.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 11:00 PM, dada051 said:

I'm not sure array with parity performance is better... 

On 5/22/2022 at 11:24 PM, itimpi said:

It is normally an order of magnitude faster than accessing the main parity protected array, so not sure what performance you were getting to give this impression.

Yes, that you saied is why I need multi arrays.

One array WITHOUT parity, can instead of poor performance pool.

And one array with parity can be used for important data.

I can get  a saft array and a performance array at the same time, don't need to choose the safe or the performance.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, dada051 said:

I don't understand why you talk about performance array. Cache pool should be better for that use case. You can use RAID 10 to even improve performance.

But cache pool only can use the btrfs which performance is so poooor.