Multiple Arrays

36 posts in this topic Last Reply

I would definetly also want mutliple arrays. That would give the ultimate felxibility to organize the storage of the server.

Every array with its own parity disk(s) would be an independet fault tolerance unit. Without speed and securtiy degration, if in another array a drive fails and the array needs to be reconstructed.

It would be possible to spread the risk over more disks when the data is split by mutliple arrays.

Statistically, the over all reliability gets lower and lower, the more drives you add to a single array with its max. 2 parity disks. With multiple arrays, this could be prohibited.

Edited by Ralf.
  • 1 month later...

I am interested in running two dual-parity protected arrays in a single chassis w/ Unraid on bare metal.

I have a smaller array for testing and data that would be a minor headache to replace (6 data drives + 2 parity). I also have my "Production" Unraid array that houses my primary data that would be a huge issue if I lost (18 data drives and growing + 2 parity & full/daily offsite backup). 

My chassis is 36 bays and I currently run Unraid on top of ESXi, passing through the USB keys along with HBAs and NVMe cache drives to get as close to bare metal as I can.

Edited by BrianAz
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 for multiple arrays.

I'd settle for just a second array, for my SSD storage that way my frequently used data such a time-machine, phone backups, newly "acquired" media and my "to be played" steam library would not need to spin up my spindle disks all the time relegating them to infrequently used media.

Having my largest capacity (expensive) disk spinning all the time isn't great.

This is the main feature I'm missing to move from an aging Synology NAS to Unraid.

Given Synology's horrible track record with me over the last two years i would gladly pay double the pro fee to get this feature

• 2 weeks later...