2 identical (4-drive) enclosures - 1 headache

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

I have two of these enclosures for my unraid server. Trouble is, I think unraid cannot distinguish between the two. For instance, if I put a drive in the 1st slot of each of the enclosures, only one is recognized. If I take that one out, the remaining drive is recognized.

Is there any way to address this or should I just get a different brand for the 2nd enclosure.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

It's just an ultraslim pc that I'm using for the raid box. Only for home server and plex.

Thanks for taking a look!

HP Elite 8300 Series Ultra-Slim Desktop

Motherboard

Drive bays

External: (1) Slim bay, (1) Secure Digital (SD) Reader bay

Internal: (1) 6.35 cm (2.5 in)

Expansion slots

(1) Mini PCI Express, (1) MXM, (1) mSATA

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor Up to 3.9 GHz Max. Turbo Frequency (3.4 GHz base frequency) 8 MB cache, 4 cores, 8 threads Intel HD Graphics 4000 Supports DDR3 memory up to 1600 MT/s data rate Supports Intel vPro Technologies and Intel's Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP)

Chipset

Intel Q77 Express

34 minutes ago, jimmysq1 said:

It's just an ultraslim pc

Maybe someone else will have an idea, but I can't think a way to make that work with 8 SATA drives. USB just isn't a robust enough protocol to ensure a good user experience, it's bad enough with one or two drives, with 8 I'm afraid you would be dropping and rebuilding disks on a daily basis. Normally for someone to run a slim pc with an external case for the drives we would recommend a pcie card with a sas connector, something like a LSI SAS9207-8E and the appropriate drive cage. Since your machine doesn't have a pcie slot, I can't think of a way to make it work.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, jimmysq1 said:

Thanks for your advice, jonathanm. I'm going to think on this for a bit and figure out my next move.

Cheers!

With your current setup, it would be difficult to utilize the 8 drives.

Depending on how much money you have available to spend then, you could possible by some parts and build a new unit.

Although again this depends on how much money you have available and are willing to spend.

If you would like some help in deciding parts (with a price goal) then I am (or anyone else I expect) will be happy to help.

The only feasible way I could see for connecting 8 disks to that box would require money.
Not a ton, but enough that it would be reasonable to consider moving away from the box.

It would involve a Pci-E 1x sata HBA; and one of these:
https://www.newegg.com/p/1DW-0044-00018?item=9SIAHEA7VP4273&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-silkroad-_-accessories+-+video+card-_-9SIAHEA7VP4273&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96W76-W65AIVAp6fCh1LlgPtEAQYByABEgJAh_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The experience would... not be great, either.
That mpcie slot MIGHT be 4x and that would help a bit; but even then you would not have a great time.