Unraid's 14th Birthday: A Q&A with the CEO on the Past, Present, and Future of Unraid

August 29th, 2019 marks 14 years of Lime Technology being in business. On August 26, 2005, Tom Mortensen (@limetech), the creator of Unraid, posted the very first introductory post about Unraid and thus began the incredible journey and creation of this amazing community!

To date, the Unraid community comprises over 130 countries, an untold number of languages, and thousands of friendly, enthusiastic, and welcoming users!

This is the discussion page for the official Unraid 14th Birthday Blog. Feel free to chime in on how you use Unraid, what you thought of the Q&A or anything else that comes to mind! 

Cheers!

https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-14th-birthday-blog

• Like 3

Great that Tom took the time to respond. I enjoyed reading that, and it brought back a few memories.

<pedantry>

It's 'without further adoo', or 'ado', not 'adieu', (which is old French for 'Goodbye')

</pedantry>

Edited by meep
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, meep said:

Great that Tom took the time to respond. I enjoyed reading that, and it brought back a few memories.

<pedantry>

It's 'without further adoo', or 'ado', not 'adieu', (which is old French for 'Goodbye')

</pedantry>

Right you are! Thanks for the heads up. Updated.

</pedantry>

Thanks for Unraid!  i gladly paid a Pro licence, and had 3 or 4 of my good friends also do the same :) i still continue to advertise Unraid as one of the best Home Media Storage system.   I think you should have a more "business" version, for company that want to manage VMs and Storage, etc.

Also, please udate the Kernel to 5.2.7 to support newer Ryzen 3000 temp sensors, etc. :) (

)

Edited by Pducharme
47 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

Thanks for Unraid!  i gladly paid a Pro licence, and had 3 or 4 of my good friends also do the same :) i still continue to advertise Unraid as one of the best Home Media Storage system.   I think you should have a more "business" version, for company that want to manage VMs and Storage, etc.

Also, please udate the Kernel to 5.2.7 to support newer Ryzen 3000 temp sensors, etc. :) (

)

6.8 is on the horizon. 

Possibly kernel 5.3 since it's due to be stable soon ;)

It could also be the new LTS kernel.

Edited by Dazog
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Dazog said:

6.8 is on the horizon. 

Possibly kernel 5.3 since it's due to be stable soon ;)

It could also be the new LTS kernel.

Not familiar with the LTS kernel, what is it ?  All I want really, is a NVIDIA driver + at least 5.2.7 for having Temperature Plugin working on my X570 board ;)

On 8/29/2019 at 7:27 PM, Pducharme said:

Not familiar with the LTS kernel, what is it ?

LTS stands for "Long-term support" or sometimes "Long-term stable". It's a branch of code which is considered finished, polished, and only to receive bug patches and security related patches, but no more breaking changes. Being a kernel, it's the underlying operating system that unraid operates on top of.