Unformatted Disk

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Not sure I know what your mean here. If you now get the directories of all user shares that included disk 10, they won't include anything that was on disk10 since it isn't accessible.

Understood. I just haven't found anything 'missing' yet. I've got thousands of movies, series, music vids...so, I guess, I just haven't found what's missing. I'm sure I will as time passes and normal usage begins again.

So...how do I add Disk10 as a new drive back to the array?

Upgrade complete. Loving the new interface so far. Can't believe it took me this crazy event to convince me to upgrade.

That unformatted disk is now XFS and 100% empty.

Do I leave all the other disks as ReiserFS?

Again, thanks to all the folks that posted to educate a brother. Much appreciated.

11 hours ago, zOnk.oNe said:

As soon as you are sure everything is stable, I'd start the migration process. That means copying the contents of one of your ReiserFS disks to the XFS disk, verifying the copy, then formatting the source ReiserFS disk to XFS, lather, rinse, repeat until all disks are XFS.

ReiserFS support is going to steadily get worse.

12 hours ago, zOnk.oNe said:

Again, thanks to all the folks that posted to educate a brother. Much appreciated.

It is not urgent but I can see ReiserFS support eventually being deprecated although at the moment Unraid is happy to support an array with any mix of XFS, BTRFS and ReiserFS.     The process for converting to XFS is quite time consuming in elapsed time (although once you trigger an action it runs in the background).    Being on XFS is going to be easier from a support perspective as there will be more forum expertise to help with any issues that might arise.

Got it. Just heard about unBalance...I'll start moving contents and ditch the old filesystem.

I also ordered a LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i Storage Controller LSI00301 to replace these two SATA cards that I currently have. The cards I've had work...but I've had many issues with them.

**I created a new account to start this thread, not realizing I had an old one. I wanted to mark the thread SOLVED, but can't log in to that newer account. **

Edited by zOnk.oNe
Added the SOLVED line
14 minutes ago, zOnk.oNe said:

.I'll start moving contents

Don't move, copy.

1. Moving from one array disk to another, especially when the source is ReiserFS is SLOW. Copying is quicker, and you will be formatting the source anyway, which only takes a few seconds, vs waiting many minutes for ReiserFS to decide to delete multiple files.

2. Copying means you can verify the copy completed successfully before nuking the source.

Rsync at the command line is the way to go, one pass to copy, second pass to verify, format the source drive, repeat. Many hours of computer time, only a few minutes of your time at the keyboard.

There is an entire stick thread dedicated to this topic.

23 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Don't move, copy.

1. Moving from one array disk to another, especially when the source is ReiserFS is SLOW. Copying is quicker, and you will be formatting the source anyway, which only takes a few seconds, vs waiting many minutes for ReiserFS to decide to delete multiple files.

2. Copying means you can verify the copy completed successfully before nuking the source.

Rsync at the command line is the way to go, one pass to copy, second pass to verify, format the source drive, repeat. Many hours of computer time, only a few minutes of your time at the keyboard.

There is an entire stick thread dedicated to this topic.

Muchos gracias. Glad I went fishing yesterday instead of starting...gave time for you to post that and me to properly plan with Rsync.