SSD cache drive errors - problem? [SOLVED]

nraygun

No error!

I see the scripts ran at the times I expected, this morning at 1am and 1:15am.

I won't know if this is the final solution until I get more days with no errors.

However, if this happens to be the solution, why wouldn't my wakeup script cause the error too? Afterall, the drive is probably sleeping prior to it running like before the backup script runs. Maybe the backup script does a read or a write when the drive is sleeping that the wakeup script is not doing. I think my script is doing a read. The first thing the backup script does is start a VM which acts like a sort of activity monitor (I start a dummy VM called scripts at the start and then end this VM at the end of script so I can see from the dashboard if the scripts are running).

Stay tuned.

Edited by nraygun

Day 4 and no errors! This is the longest I've gone with no errors on the backup drive.

I think I'm going to call this the solution.

I also turned spin down back on. Lesson learned here is that the spin down setting doesn't appear to affect the unassigned drives.

Thank you @johnnie.black for the help with this and keeping me on the track of this all being related to spin down!

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2019 at 10:35 PM, nraygun said:

[SOLVED]

Added a script to wake up the unassigned backup drive 15 minutes before the backup script runs. The script is as follows. The "Default spin down delay" setting in "Drive Settings" does not appear to work on unassigned disks.

#!/bin/bash
dd if=/dev/sdc bs=4096 count=1 of=/dev/null iflag=direct

You just put this in user scripts and specify the time?