Dnsmasq - can I run KVM without it?

Hello -

Is dnsmasq required for the operation of KVM?

Asking as I'm trying to install Pihole but the Docker container is failing due to port 53 already being in use.  Netstat tells me it is in use by dnsmasq on local address 192.168.122.1 and I've tracked that down to 192.168.122.0/24 being attached to virbir0 in the routing table.

Stopping KVM allows the container to work.

Can I still use KVM if I somehow remove/stop dnsmasq?  Docker is more important than KVM on this server so it's not a biggie if the answer is no.

Hello -

Is dnsmasq required for the operation of KVM?

Asking as I'm trying to install Pihole but the Docker container is failing due to port 53 already being in use.  Netstat tells me it is in use by dnsmasq on local address 192.168.122.1 and I've tracked that down to 192.168.122.0/24 being attached to virbir0 in the routing table.

Stopping KVM allows the container to work.

Can I still use KVM if I somehow remove/stop dnsmasq?  Docker is more important than KVM on this server so it's not a biggie if the answer is no.

Use bridge so the container will have another IP address
3 minutes ago, TheBlueKingLP said:

Is it set to the same subnet as your server?or subnet that you and the server can access?

Yes, same subnet - this part of the network is all on the same /24 (the other parts are DMZ etc, so completely isolated from unRAID).

Edit: THe Pi-hole UI does show that IP as the "Pi-hole IPv4 address" though.

Edit 2: Btw, Pi-hole is functioning just fine and ads are being blocked.  I can see the stats in the UI.

Edited by digitalformula
Yes, same subnet - this part of the network is all on the same /24 (the other parts are DMZ etc, so completely isolated from unRAID).
how many subnet do you have? Is the computer that you tried to connect to pihole on the same subnet as the pihole? If not, try to use the same subnet, btw, pihole should have a web interface, try to open that as well
2 minutes ago, TheBlueKingLP said:
4 minutes ago, digitalformula said:

how many subnet do you have? Is the computer that you tried to connect to pihole on the same subnet as the pihole? If not, try to use the same subnet, btw, pihole should have a web interface, try to open that as well

Yup sorry I should've included that info before.

unRAID, this desktop, the Pi-hole WebUI etc are all on the same subnet.  Pi-hole and its UI are working fine and I can see traffic there + ads being blocked.  Tested with speedtest.net and a few others that are known to be bad for ads.

I don't really use KVM on unRAID anymore so I'll just ignore it for now.  Thanks, though.  :)

Edited by digitalformula
Yup sorry I should've included that info before.

unRAID, this desktop, the Pi-hole WebUI etc are all on the same subnet.  Pi-hole and its UI are working fine and I can see traffic there + ads being blocked.  Tested with speedtest.net and a few others that are known to be bad for ads.

I don't really use KVM on unRAID anymore so I'll just ignore it for now.  Thanks, though. 

Ok then
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In the docker template, use macvlan network type (for me, it's "Custom:br0") instead of "host" or default "bridge" network, and assign an IP manually to pihole. In this case, pihole (or any other docker) will have its own ip address so no ports conflict.

I'm not sure it's enabled by default, but you can set that up in Settings -> Docker -> 'IPv4 custom network on interface'.

If you have multiple NICs (or VLANs) and subnets, you can enable them, and choose whatever subnet you want the pihole to be in in the docker template.