Clearing speed identical for all new drives

realies

Just added two new drives, one of them is 5400rpm and the other 7200rpm. Noticed that the clearing write speed fluctuates identically between the new drives (±0.5 MB/s). Wondering if this is a bug, a feature or just the current state of the clearing component. Is it not possible to max out the write speed of each drive independently?

image.thumb.png.fc845dd957581fa4bf14d8142134af1c.png

Edited by realies
3 hours ago, realies said:

Just added two new drives, one of them is 5400rpm and the other 7200rpm. Noticed that the pre-clearing write speed fluctuates identically between the new drives (±0.5 MB/s). Wondering if this is a bug, a feature or just the current state of the pre-clearing component. Is it not possible to max out the write speed of each drive independently?

image.thumb.png.fc845dd957581fa4bf14d8142134af1c.png

Do you really mean pre-clearing?     If so I am confused as pre-clear cannot be run on drives that are assigned to the array,

@Benson, nice generalisation, although for this use case it would be great if disks are pre-cleared at maximum speed. It would stress each drive to its full potential and maximise the chance of reporting early drive mortality that can happen during this stage.

@BRiT, the writes are fluctuating up and down and during the clearing stage when new drives are added to the array, nothing is being written to the parity drive (0.0 B/s).

@itimpi, absolutely sure I mean pre-clearing*. This occurs automatically when a new drive is added to the disk array.

Another thing that can be observed is that drives that have underwent the clearing step are still waiting for the remaining new drives to finish clearing before they are mounted to the array (Disk 5). In my view drives that have successfully been pre-cleared have to be mounted to the array without waiting for remaining drives to complete.

image.thumb.png.bf91fa74d77d6960cc1bda72f0d265eb.png

*seems like people refer to pre-clearing when the drive is cleared before being assigned to the array, so in unRAID terms, I mean clearing

Edited by realies
58 minutes ago, realies said:

absolutely sure I mean pre-clearing*. This occurs automatically when a new drive is added to the disk array.

No. Pre-clear has NEVER been automatic, or a built in procedure for unraid.

We are definitely arguing semantics here, but in this case, as it is often when dealing with computers, semantics matter a great deal. When you say pre-clear, that is a 3rd party utility that is invoked to a disk not assigned to the array, and has a whole other set of processes not done by the unraid built in clear process applied to new disks assigned to an array with already valid parity.

There are ongoing issues with the pre-clear utility, and it is vital that we know for sure that it is NOT a pre-clear in process. Saying that you really meant clear when you said pre-clear because unraid, doesn't help the communication process. We need to be sure we are all on the same page.

@jonathanm, apologies for using the wrong unRAID terminology and flooding the topic unnecessarily. At the bottom of my last post there's also:

*seems like people refer to pre-clearing when the drive is cleared before being assigned to the array, so in unRAID terms, I mean clearing

Updating all posts accordingly.

Edited by realies