How do I connect this external storage?

adminmat

Hello, this is my first post. Please excuse me if it's not the appropriate forum.

I'm putting a couple HDD JBOD enclosures in my DIY cabinet rack. I'm a little confused as of how to best connect the JBOD to the server which will set a few feet away.

Here's a pic of the mini server cabinet. 

I've will use (2) 4-bay iStarUSA Trayless HDD Hot-swap Racks. The server is Micro-ATX in a small case, running UnRaid, set next to this cabinet. The cable will have to run 4 feet from server to JBODs.

So I was thinking of this method (in order from Server PC --> the iStar enclosure SATA ports):

Method 1: an LSI 9200-8e 6Gbps in the server 8 lane PCIe slot --> (2) SFF-8088 cables running --> an SFF-8087 to External 8088 mini adapter --> SFF-8087 to SATA 3 breakout cables --> the (8) SATA ports on the JBOD boxes.

Does this make sense? 

Also, I'm a little confused on how best to power the iStar JBOD enclosures. They have a built-in fan controller and LED control already. They just need 2 SATA power runs per box (total of 4 SATA ports to power)  Is there any way to run power from my server PC? or must I add a PSU at the JBOD enclosures? If so how do I power it on and off?

Edited by adminmat
5 hours ago, adminmat said:

Method 1: an LSI 9200-8e 6Gbps in the server 8 lane PCIe slot --> (2) SFF-8088 cables running --> an SFF-8087 to External 8088 mini adapter --> SFF-8087 to SATA 3 breakout cables --> the (8) SATA ports on the JBOD boxes.

Does this make sense? 

This will work if you can keep total cable length below 1m, which is the max SATA cable length, you could use much longer cables if it was all SAS, or if the enclosures had a  SAS expander.

I connect the external enclosure by SAS route, the enclosure have expander and PSU. Although Server and enclosure were side by side, but due to maintenance and movement need, so I connect them by a 2m cable. The cable are 8087 end to end, so they are not plugable at case back, btw I well tie it. For power on/off at enclosure, I use a electronic WiFi switch to control the PSU on/off, this switch also accept a extra switch for locally on/off.

For your case, if use mention method, I would suggest

1. Found a 8088 to SATA cable instead add a 8088 to 8087 conversion. But this kind cable should hard to found, so I would suggest use 8i card for direct connection.

2. Drill a hole at server case then break out all SATA/power cable to iStartUSA.

Edited by Benson
59 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

This will work if you can keep total cable length below 1m, which is the max SATA cable length, you could use much longer cables if it was all SAS, or if the enclosures had a  SAS expander.

I've read about the 1 meter limit for SATA data cables. But if I use a 2 meter SAS cable from my server to case, then .5 meter SAS to SATA breakout cables do you still think I might risk losing signal? 

I could just add the another SAS expander in the DAS enclosure and power it with one of these but don't you think that's an overkill?

45 minutes ago, adminmat said:

But if I use a 2 meter SAS cable from my server to case, then .5 meter SAS to SATA breakout cables do you still think I might risk losing signal? 

Yes, more than one meter can only be used if there are SAS devices on both ends, e.g., HBA to SAS expander, or HBA to SAS disks.