Log is full but zero kb and two drives have been disabled

rxnelson

I had an instance about 2 weeks ago where I thought that Plex filled up my cache drive and freaked the system out creating a bunch of errors on disk 1 and parity 1.  I disabled both drives one at a time and let them rebuild.  Unraid seemed happy and the drives passed a long smart test.  

Fast forward to the weekend and I'm not sure what happened as the system really wasn't in use but I have a full log, tons of errors during the monthly parity check, and those two drives are disabled again.  I tried to pull the log from the tools menu in the gui but it looks blank.  Anything I can do to assist the diagnosis before I reboot?

Thanks.

Ok. Thanks. I was just wondering if you’d come back and say the dell cards are known to overheat or something like that.

Anyway, I put the card in a different slot and the parity drive is resynching now. I’ll let that finish and wait a few more days to see if the card acts up again I guess.
Thanks again

3 minutes ago, rxnelson said:

I was just wondering if you’d come back and say the dell cards are known to overheat or something like that.

They are known to run hot, since they are designed for servers, so a fan blowing some air directly on the heat sink is highly recommended, it can be a side fan, below, directly on top of the heat synk, etc.

2 minutes ago, rxnelson said:

the dell cards are known to overheat or something like that.

All server HBA cards will overheat if not actively cooled. They are designed for rack mount cases with plenty of forced through ventilation, putting them in desktop cases means being sure there is airflow directed over the heatsink, as most desktop cases have a pocket of stagnant air around the PCIe slots. It's assumed high draw devices like video cards in desktop rigs will have their own fan.

It’s in an intel 4U tower style case similar to this one. http:// https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193042042853

I thought that bottom fan would provide airflow and haven’t had issues since I put it together in what looks like 2016 according to purchase history. I guess that is why I’m still not sure if heat or bad card or maybe heat finally killed the card.

I’ll see if I can rig something up closer to the card. For a dual PSU system it has a very small amount of molex and sata power.

I’m assuming the card doesn’t have any “live” reading of temps once in Unraid or you guys would have already mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...