10+day Parity check ETA...

Acps

My current parity check has a estimated finish time of almost 10 days, its been a day since it started. Overall I have been having ton of docker issues, crashing, becoming unresponsive. Ive been thinking some piece of hardware is to blame, possibly to small of a PSU, to CPU cooling, or possibly a faulty raid controller. While my raid array is growing to nearly 25+ TB+ and a cache pool of about 800gb, ive but uninstalled all about Plex, deluge, krusader trying to troubleshoot, and its frustrating as I struggle to pin down what the underlying issues is.

I attached my current dianostics, which may not be much as the system was just rebooted yesterday. At some point i had setup my syslogs to be backed up after each reboot, but im not sure where they are, they probably have much more context to my overall issues I have been having.

If anyone could take a look at my logs, and maybe point me in a direction to get started id really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

~Acps

unraid-diagnostics-20190903-2033.zip

1 hour ago, Acps said:

Ive been thinking some piece of hardware is to blame, possibly to small of a PSU, to CPU cooling

This sticks put for me in your log.

Fix Common Problems: Warning: CPU Overheating
Sep  3 04:40:21 unRaid root: Fix Common Problems: Ignored errors / warnings / other comments found, but not logged per user settings

1 minute ago, Harro said:

This sticks put for me in your log.

Fix Common Problems: Warning: CPU Overheating
Sep  3 04:40:21 unRaid root: Fix Common Problems: Ignored errors / warnings / other comments found, but not logged per user settings

I noticed this a few weeks ago, however the dashboard in unRaid only reports the CPU temp in the 80-90 F range. Which hardly seems right, I did login to my motherboards bios and tweak my cpu fan setting to run at max 2000+ rpm 24/7. I do have x6 120mm and x2 140mm setup in my case for cooling, it is a smaller compact case with almost 8 hdds and 4 ssds, however i never do get any high temp alarms for any of the hdds. That being said I did purchase a water cooling unit for my i5, as well as a 850w PSU, I was getting concerned that my original 550w PSU was maybe getting maxxxed out when under a heavy load.

Ive been hesitant to make any hardware changes because the last time I went tinkering around inside my case I accidentally set a hdd on fire trying to replace a bad drive, luckily I had dual parity setup and didnt loose any data.

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

IRQ16 got disabled, SASLP usually uses it, so performance will tank after that, rebooting will fix it, until it happens again, those controllers are not recommended for a long time, for many reasons.

Well, that doesn't surprise me, I have had a ton of issues since I started back in 2015 with my controller, I thought I had maybe dodge a bullet when I installed a replacement card and installed new sata port cables for it. 

A couple of questions for you:

First being could you point me to a new card or a current list of supported controllers, I checked https://wiki.unraid.net/Hardware_Compatibility#PCI_SATA_Controllers ; but I wasnt sure how current it is, as my SASLP card is listed as a compatible card. Id like a card that will work in my x4 pci slot if I don't lose any performance over the x16. So that I can have a dedicated gpu installed later for VMs.

Second, currently I have my 4 ssds installed using my onboard sata controller on my motherboard which I think is a Intel. Is it safe to leave them like that? Or do I need another sata controller card? Or do I need a card big enough to hold 8 hdds and 4 ssds? I think I will end up ditching 4 cache drives for 2 x500gb raid 0 pool instead here in the near future.

Thanks in advance for the help again!

~Acps

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Unfortunately not many x4 options, recommend HBAs are LSI, but they use a x8 slot.

No problem leaving the SSDs on the Intel ports, in fact it's usually the best place to connect them.

What about using my x16 slot for a controller card then, and try passing through onboard gpu instead? Dont think I absolutely need a dedidcated gpu for VMs anyways, more of something to tinker around with.

1 hour ago, Acps said:

Will this work for my x16 slot and 8 hdd array?

SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+SAS Pcie 2.0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RL8I7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_C6SEDbMWCJB0N

Leaving the ssds on the motherboard sata controller?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not without flashing to IT-Mode - the 9211-8i is a "RAID-Controller" - you need a HBA > flashing to IT-Mode by yourself at your own risk (i hope, this works) 😉.

Edited by Zonediver
8 hours ago, Acps said:

So are you saying there are easier cards to setup for unraid

Again: You need a HBA (HostBusAdapter) and "not" a RAID-Controller.

All Controllers with a "0" in the lable are HBAs (IT-Mode) - see my signature - i use a LSI SAS 9207-8i (HBA, not RAID)

See also my post above "Info about LSI-Controllers" 😉

Edited by Zonediver