[DEPRECATED] [Support] Zabbix Agent

DEPRECATED:

Due to multiple reasons I have decided to no longer up-keep this template. It will be removed from CA soon also.

Overview: Support for my Docker template of the zabbix-agent container

Application: Zabbix-Agent - https://www.zabbix.com/

DockerHub: https://hub.docker.com/r/zabbix/zabbix-agent

Agent Version: 4.2

Minimum Server Version: 4.2

Before using this docker please make sure you have a Zabbix Server (optional to have Proxy as well) setup. In addition you should have a basic understanding of Linux.

In case anyone is wondering, yes privileged mode does need to be left as enabled. This allows the agent to see system resources See the below exert directly from the official Zabbix DockerHub:

"By default, Docker containers are "unprivileged" and do not have access to the most of host resources. Zabbix agent is designed to monitor system resources, to do that Zabbix agent container must be privileged..."

Adding Disks for Monitoring:

At the bottom of the docker configuration you will see this (click it):

1970072561_AddPath.PNG.e1df70497f24e644d0da13228838ee20.PNG

The following screen will load:

726749541_AddConfig.PNG.c61544f0af7f36feee733901f618da61.PNG

When filling in the above make sure "Path" is selected from the drop down.

- Name can be anything you want to call it, I would suggest calling the name of the disk

- Container Path should be /mnt/[name of drive] example /mnt/disk1

- Host Path should be same as Container Path

- Access Mode can be just Read Only

- Description can be left

- Now click Add

Edited by HNGamingUK
  • Like 1

Hi, just tried this out but can´t seem to get my disks visible in Zabbix. Would also like it to monitor my network on unRAID server but that is not showing either. Everything else that is important seems to be monitored nice thou.

I followed your instructions with adding disks and maked sure the docker was previleged.

Maybe I use the wrong template (Template OS Linux), which template do you use in Zabbix?,

Thanks for the docker, great to finally have a zabbix agent in unRAID

Edited by Sic79
50 minutes ago, Sic79 said:

Hi, just tried this out but can´t seem to get my disks visible in Zabbix. Would also like it to monitor my network on unRAID server but that is not showing either. Everything else that is important seems to be monitored nice thou.

I followed your instructions with adding disks and maked sure the docker was previleged.

Maybe I use the wrong template (Template OS Linux), which template do you use in Zabbix?,

Thanks for the docker, great to finally have a zabbix agent in unRAID

Hello,

Reading through your reply I can confirm the template I use is "Template OS LInux"

However one thing to note is that filesystem and networking is done under discovery. (by default Zabbix does discovery every 1hr)

If you would like to force a discovery check then you can do the following from the Zabbix WebUI

Configuration > Hosts > Select relevant host > Discovery rules

You should then see the below:

714442497_discoveryrules.thumb.PNG.62f835f6a94fe68db096fe6fc1eb6ac3.PNG

You can then click the relevant box for your rule you want to force check (In your case I would just select both)

Once selected you can click the check now button. This will force Zabbix to complete a discovery check on your host.

Please do let me know if this works 😉

Edited by Conmyster
Hello,

Reading through your reply I can confirm the template I use is "Template OS LInux"

However one thing to note is that filesystem and networking is done under discovery. (by default Zabbix does discovery every 1hr)

If you would like to force a discovery check then you can do the following from the Zabbix WebUI

Configuration > Hosts > Select relevant host > Discovery rules

You should then see the below:

714442497_discoveryrules.thumb.PNG.62f835f6a94fe68db096fe6fc1eb6ac3.PNG

You can then click the relevant box for your rule you want to force check (In your case I would just select both)

Once selected you can click the check now button. This will force Zabbix to complete a discovery check on your host.

Please do let me know if this works

Ok, thanks for helping .

I checked the settings now under discovery rules. And both of them says “Not supported”. And then there is a info box why it’s not working. It says “Cannot find the “data” array in the recieved JSON object.”

Does that error say something to you?

Edit: My Zabbix version is 4.0.8

46 minutes ago, Sic79 said:

Ok, thanks for helping emoji4.png.

I checked the settings now under discovery rules. And both of them says “Not supported”. And then there is a info box why it’s not working. It says “Cannot find the “data” array in the recieved JSON object.”

Does that error say something to you?

Edit: My Zabbix version is 4.0.8

Ah in which case that last part would make more sense as to why this does not work.

The agent provided is using the latest tag, and the latest tag currently is Agent version 4.2, which isn't backwards compatible with 4.0.*

I would suggest updating your Zabbix server to 4.2 minimum and it should work. (My Zabbix Server is on 4.2.6)

Sorry for not making this clear in the main thread, as such I have updated the main thread post stating that this is Agent 4.2 and the minimum sever version.

Edited by Conmyster
  • Like 1
Ah in which case that last part would make more sense as to why this does not work.

The agent provided is using the latest tag, and the latest tag currently is Agent version 4.2, which isn't backwards compatible with 4.0.*

I would suggest updating your Zabbix server to 4.2 minimum and it should work. (My Zabbix Server is on 4.2.6)

Sorry for not making this clear in the main thread, as such I have updated the main thread post stating that this is Agent 4.2 and the minimum sever version.

Ah great, will try and update the server tomorrow. I’ll let you know if all is well after that :). Thanks!
11 hours ago, Conmyster said:

Updated server to 4.2 now and it worked instant :)

Now it would be nice if someone converted "Zabbix Server" to Docker also :)

Great work on this docker, thank you very much.

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 5:41 AM, xthursdayx said:

Okay, good to know. Do you know of any decent guides for setting it up by any chance?

Or can you tell me what sort of resources you have assigned to the VM (like CPUs and RAM)?

I just used a Debian distro and installed Zabbix as usual, there are many guides on how to install if you google.

And I gave the VM 1 Core and 2GB RAM (maybe 1GB is enough, I have alot of right now so), hope it helps you out?

• 1 year later...
  • HNGamingUK changed the title to [DEPRECATED] [Support] Zabbix Agent