New server build

Hey all

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction I'm currently running unraid with the following specs

i7 7700k

39gb ram

12 disks

Rx480

Sas card

I'm currently running the following

Pfsense vm

Plex

Sonar

Raddar

Sabnzb

Pihole

Unifi

Transmission

Openvpn

Cups

Krusader

I was running a Windows 10 vm as my daliy but I had a lot of stuttering and mismatched sound and also would like to run a 8 camera blue iris vm as well

Could someone recommend a cpu and ram combo that could cope with all that workload in 1 box also looking for a rackmount server case that has about 24 or 48 hotswap bays or a normal case that would have that expansion for future hardrive expansion I've run out of room in the current case

It works well currently without the Windows 10 vm.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, tabac1987 said:

I was running a Windows 10 vm as my daliy but I had a lot of stuttering and mismatched sound and also would like to run a 8 camera blue iris vm as well

What sort of stuttering are you talking about? In game? In general usage?

You haven't mentioned the typical load (e.g. how many Plex streams? how many VMs?) but your config shouldn't be stuttering in most typical home usage scenarios.

So sounds to me like a configuration / underlying issue.

Also mismatched sound is unlikely to be a CPU problem. If msi_util doesn't fix it then it's unfortunately unfixable without a new GPU.

What sort of stuttering are you talking about? In game? In general usage?
You haven't mentioned the typical load (e.g. how many Plex streams? how many VMs?) but your config shouldn't be stuttering in most typical home usage scenarios.
So sounds to me like a configuration / underlying issue.

Also mismatched sound is unlikely to be a CPU problem. If msi_util doesn't fix it then it's unfortunately unfixable without a new GPU.
Hey generally no more than 3 Plex streams, for the vms running 1 Windows 10 vm as my main system and 1 vm for pfsense and all the other Dockers listed running

I find that Plex all the other Dockers and the pfsense vm run well but the Windows 10 vm I find I get general lag when using Windows and high latency plus the stuttering in audio when watching YouTube and mismatched sound as the video progresses

I had 2 cores 4 threads assigned to the Windows 10 vm an the other 2 cores and 4 threads running free for everything else.

I just think that 2 cores isn't enough for Windows it would be similar to running a Pentium g4400 which I had before

Also the Windows 10 vm I have it 12gb of ram

1 hour ago, tabac1987 said:

... mismatched sound as the video progresses ...

I just think that 2 cores isn't enough for Windows it would be similar to running a Pentium g4400 which I had before

My Win10 VM can run on 1 core 2 threads without lag (and my 2990WX has a lower base clock than your 7700K) so something else is definitely going on.

Did you isolate the cores for the VM? Where is your vdisk image stored?

Also, "mismatched sound as the video progresses" is a typical problem that msi_util will fix.

Did you follow SpaceInvaderOne's guide to PCIe passthrough?

The msi_util tool floats around the forum a lot. Below is 1 post that SIO attached the file.

• 3 weeks later...
My Win10 VM can run on 1 core 2 threads without lag (and my 2990WX has a lower base clock than your 7700K) so something else is definitely going on.

Also, "mismatched sound as the video progresses" is a typical problem that msi_util will fix.

The msi_util tool floats around the forum a lot. Below is 1 post that SIO attached the file.

Hey I had a SSD passed though to the VM I tired pinning the core I think I'll have to go though it again I've moved to a separate box for now

Yeah I've done that I think I'll have to go though it again having issues with my server ATM some of my dockers won't start