"stale configuration" after replacing a drive but parity-sync is working?

Just noticed a drive was emulated so I wrote down which drive was bad, stopped the array, shutdown the server, replaced the drive (with a bigger one 5->8TB), turned back on the server.

The array started automatically (wasn't expecting that) with the drive marked as missing. I stopped the array and then assigned the new drive to the missing slop and hit "start" on the array.

The page refreshed but all the drives still showed as dropdowns (like I could assign them. Picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/diymtovifemqemb/Screenshot 2019-09-04 17.47.18.png?dl=0) and the only options at the bottom of the page are "Reboot" and "Powerdown". In the bottom status bar it shows:

Array Stopped•Parity-Sync / Data-Rebuild 0.1 %•stale configuration

(Note it is now up to 0.3% so it IS doing something).

I've never seen this before and in the past when I need to rebuild a drive the bottom section is expanded and show %, time, MB/s, MB total rebuilt, etc. 

I googled around but couldn't find anyone describing what I'm seeing. I have attached my diagnosis.

I'm going to leave the server alone but I'm not sure what the stale config error means and if I need to stop the rebuild and do something else first.

tower3-diagnostics-20190904-1741.zip

I tried different browsers and different devices but the GUI stayed in that odd state. Once I was sure the rebuild was complete (mind you the array was accessible this whole time, it just didn't look like it was via the UI) I rebooted the machine through the web UI and everything came up correctly. That was a scary few days where I wasn't sure if it was working or not but it appears it was all fine and just some UI glitch.

Bottom line if your UI looks like my screenshot above then just ride it out until the rebuild is complete then reboot your server.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:01 AM, joshstrange said:

I tried different browsers and different devices but the GUI stayed in that odd state. Once I was sure the rebuild was complete (mind you the array was accessible this whole time, it just didn't look like it was via the UI) I rebooted the machine through the web UI and everything came up correctly. That was a scary few days where I wasn't sure if it was working or not but it appears it was all fine and just some UI glitch.

Bottom line if your UI looks like my screenshot above then just ride it out until the rebuild is complete then reboot your server.

Same for me on 6.10.2, will wait until rebuild and reboot, strange bug.

• 8 months later...

Happened to me as well today on 6.11.5, after completing the rebuild I rebooted and after that everything was back to normal.

Only thing I have to add is that on 6.11.5 I've had problems with "stale configuration" on at least 3 different machines (one is actually on 6.11.3 I think) that resolved themselves with a reboot, and often I have "services starting..." stuck next to "array started" in the bottom left until I reboot the system.

No clue if these issues could have something to do with this problem as well.

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2023 at 6:30 PM, Pulteney said:

When you manually start the array you get a popup window where you can select resend or cancel. If I choose resend I get this degraded state, and only a reboot fixes it.

Pressing cancel instead of resend seems to work just fine.

This is my experience in Firefox atleast.

This!

Can confirm I had the same issue, also in firefox. If you click cancel everything is good. Resend causes the bug

Unraid 6.11.5

2042046184_Screenshot2023-05-22at07_49_27.thumb.png.ed813f1b7e43e89e5f619b8fd4a95e33.png

• 3 months later...

Just going through this now which led me to this thread.

Unraid 6.11.5, just swapped my parity drive from 6tb to 18tb.

When I booted up, I added the new parity drive to the empty slot and started the array.  I started to search for something in another tab and the Unraid tab stole focus when the alert box popped up and I hit enter at the exact same time so it accidentally did the "Resend" option.

Now I'm stuck with "Array Stopped * Parity-Sync 0.9% * stale configuration" at the bottom, but all Dockers and VMs started up and everything seems to be working even though the GUI doesn't agree. 

Guess I just have to wait it out now for a couple of days until this process finishes. 

I think everything is OK, but it's very unnerving when already doing such a big operation.

Guess I should have updated the OS before I did this, but I've been otherwise very happy on 6.11.5 and didn't want to add other unknowns to the mix.