SSD drive Formatted as XFS showing BTRFS when joined in the array

jang430

I recently added an SSD onto the array, to have better protection against failure.  I've formatted it as XFS while unassigned, after assigning it to the array, it shows btrfs.  Is this normal?  

Is it alright to assign SSD as part of array?  Though this will be a 1 drive share only, no other drives on the same share.

4 minutes ago, jang430 said:

I've formatted it as XFS while unassigned, after assigning it to the array, it shows btrfs.  Is this normal?  

Any new array devices need to be formatted by Unraid, no point in formatting it before, it will be formatted with the filesystem set as default on disk settings.

5 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Is it alright to assign SSD as part of array?

Should be, trim won't work and write performance will be bad because it will be limited by the parity disk, also make a few parity checks in the first days to make sure there aren't any sync errors due to garbage collection routine.

25 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Any new array devices need to be formatted by Unraid, no point in formatting it before, it will be formatted with the filesystem set as default on disk settings.

It formatted it as btrfs.  Is that the default for SSD?  Would it be more advisable to convert it to XFS?

Noted on the performance of SSD.  It's there because of reliability rather than performance.  Will do parity check.  

What do you suggest to do if there are sync errors?  BTW, Is it advisable to write parity correction to disks?

Edited by jang430
54 minutes ago, jang430 said:

It formatted it as btrfs.  Is that the default for SSD?  Would it be more advisable to convert it to XFS?

Noted on the performance of SSD.  It's there because of reliability rather than performance.  Will do parity check.  

What do you suggest to do if there are sync errors?  BTW, Is it advisable to write parity correction to disks?

When Unraid formats an array disk and you have not specified the format explicitly it will use the format you have set under Settings->Disk Settings.   I think the default is XFS but it is possible you changed that at some time.

My default file system is set to XFS.  While it's set as an unassigned disk, I formatted it as XFS.  When joined, it shows up as btrfs.  I've also tried preclearing the drive.  After which, I joined it to the array without formatting.  Upon starting array, it shows that I have an unformatted drive.  I ticked format the drive, and again, it showed up as btrfs.  Seems either way, btrfs is the FS.  Using 6.7.2

Just now, jang430 said:

My default file system is set to XFS.  While it's set as an unassigned disk, I formatted it as XFS.  When joined, it shows up as btrfs.  I've also tried preclearing the drive.  After which, I joined it to the array without formatting.  Upon starting array, it shows that I have an unformatted drive.  I ticked format the drive, and again, it showed up as btrfs.  Seems either way, btrfs is the FS.  Using 6.7.2

Strange - I have never seen that behavior!   It suggests something is upsetting the Unraid auto-detect code :(   I would suggest you stop the array; click on the drive on the Main tab and explicitly set the format to be XFS; start the array again and hopefully you can now format it to XFS.

38 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Do you happen to have multiple-drive cache pool? It will only do btrfs on the cache pool if you select more than 1 in the drop down, even if you actually only assign 1 device.

General default was xfs, but disk5 was set to btrfs:

Sep  4 21:15:49 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (292): mount -t btrfs -o noatime,nodiratime /dev/md5 /mnt/disk5

That overrides general default setting, for general default to be used disks must be set to auto (Unraid default)

Edited by johnnie.black