Looking for some general advice

Hi there.

I have toyed with unraid a few times before on old hardware I had lying around but am looking for some advice from more experienced users.

So at the moment my main server is a windows 2016 domain server with file shares etc running a 10gb Mellanox card and a 24tb raid6 array on a HP P420i with flash backed cache.

All my desktops also having 10gb networking and crucial 1tb NVME drives so I can usually sustain 700-800mb/s to and from the server for average day to day transfers of 20-40gb.

Now I understand that unraid isn't going to give the same performance for writing without a couple of SSD's in place but what about read speeds?? Will they also be limited to the speed of the individual disk the data has been written to??

Thanks.

1 hour ago, andymiller said:

Now I understand that unraid isn't going to give the same performance for writing without a couple of SSD's in place but what about read speeds?? Will they also be limited to the speed of the individual disk the data has been written to??

Data is not striped so read speed for any given file is limited to the disk that file resides on.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, andymiller said:

I thought as much.

Don't think I can give up a sustained 700+ to drop to a single disk read.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, Unraid is a poor solution when speed is the main concern.

Theoretically, it is possible to set up a 2-in-1 server with Unraid which has the array for slow backup data and the cache pool running BTRFS RAID for a fast (software) RAID. However, I believe BTRFS RAID 5/6 is buggy which makes it not ideal for your case.

Edited by testdasi