UNRAID Backups - Rsync

koz97

Hi Guys,

I am currently using an Rsync script to mirror various shares on my UNRAID server to a NAS box on the same LAN. 

This script works great, but I realised that if I accidently delete some files on the source, it will delete them on the destination once the rsync script executes. 

I know that I can remove the --delete switch from my script which will solve the issue stated above, but at the same time I don't want my destination filling up with unwanted files...

Is there a way I can modify my script to solve this issue? I am open to trying new backup methods if needed to solve this issue.

Thank you.  

53 minutes ago, koz97 said:

Hi Guys,

I am currently using an Rsync script to mirror various shares on my UNRAID server to a NAS box on the same LAN. 

This script works great, but I realised that if I accidently delete some files on the source, it will delete them on the destination once the rsync script executes. 

I know that I can remove the --delete switch from my script which will solve the issue stated above, but at the same time I don't want my destination filling up with unwanted files...

Is there a way I can modify my script to solve this issue? I am open to trying new backup methods if needed to solve this issue.

Thank you.  

I have two rsync scripts; the one that runs twice weekly, does not include -delete.  Every 90 days another script runs that does include -delete to eliminate from the backup the files no longer on the source server.  That gives me up to three months to figure out if something got deleted on the source server that I really need.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:35 AM, Hoopster said:

I have two rsync scripts; the one that runs twice weekly, does not include -delete.  Every 90 days another script runs that does include -delete to eliminate from the backup the files no longer on the source server.  That gives me up to three months to figure out if something got deleted on the source server that I really need.

Might try give this a crack. Thanks for sharing mate.