server went off for unknown reason

sadeq

Hello
I suddenly found that my unRAID server is off for unknown reason,
when I turned it on it again, it didn't require parity recheck
the syslog is cleared after the shutdown so is there any other log that can  help me find the reason of the shutdown ?
I'm suspecting that my snmp ups sent some wrong info to the server so it shut itself down and that explains why it didn't require a parity recheck, but I have another pc plugged to the same ups that is also using apcupsd (windows) but it didn't shutdown.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

If you are running Unraid 6.7.2 then you can configure the syslog server (under Settings->Syslog) to monitorUnraid itself and save the syslog to a location that survives a reboot.

that is really helpful, is it safe to run a syslog server in a docker or should it be something that is not hosted on the server itself ?
I can configure a raspberry pi for that but maybe I can use a mikrotik router for that and avoid the hassle of running a raspberry pi.

16 minutes ago, sadeq said:

that is really helpful, is it safe to run a syslog server in a docker or should it be something that is not hosted on the server itself ?
I can configure a raspberry pi for that but maybe I can use a mikrotik router for that and avoid the hassle of running a raspberry pi.

In 6.7.2 the syslog server is built in to Unraid - it merely needs configuring.

You can setup the Syslog Server to use your flash drive as the storage media.  In your case that would work well as you are sure that the file would not be overwritten on the restart.  (Just be sure to get the copy off the drive before you restart.)  You can turn on 'Help' to get more details. 

EDIT:  think about the possibility that someone/something 'hit' the power switch momentarily-- cats and toddlers are two that have do this in the past.  

Edited by Frank1940

thanks for the help, I'll configure it and see what happens next,
I was the only person in the room when it happened, and the other PC was plugged into the exact same power strip, so it's definitely not an AC issue.

I installed a new inverter to help my ups during extended outages (I have a lot of mains outages every day) and now my power topology is:
100AH inverter (10ms transfer time) --> 1kva APC double conversion ups /w snmp network card (no transfer time) --> load
before, I had an extra double conversion ups and it was powering my main APC ups and since the extra ups had zero transfer time, I didn't get power failure ups alerts when AC fails.
but now, since the APC ups is powered by a line interactive inverter, I get a consecutive power failure and power return ups alerts on unraid every time the AC fails or returns.
so my point is that this may have triggered a bug in apcupsd that caused the server to shutdown

ups.png

Edited by sadeq
2 hours ago, sadeq said:

(I have a lot of mains outages every day)

The situation can be caused by a earlier extended outage, that partially drained the battery down.  When the later outage occurred the battery had not had enough time to recharge the battery,  the remaining charge level (Battery level or Runtime left) may have been low enough that the apcupsd software called for a shutdown. 

Edited by Frank1940