Unable to join Domain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i am having the same problem. Server 2012R2 as DC01, 2016 as DC02. 

The main issue i have with the AD join page is that there's no "test credentials" function. i have no idea if it's a real error or human error. Nor are there any (that i can find with any ease) documentation as to what is expected in the fillable fields under the SMB "Active Directory Settings" (noted below). 

other Linux servers have joined before and way back when i was on my first unraid (running 5.x OS) tower 1.x (i am now on T3.0 [running 6.7.2]) 

as a last test i created a copy of my domain admin account called it t3admin, then created a AD security group called t3users. this was to eliminate the possibility of a code bug where a space in any of the names was causing an issue. 

::note for admins to review the code:: Solved, but not really solved. 

ok, in the middle of writing this my friend and i were able to join our T3 to the AD domain. it might be a fluke, but something to note is that after, or maybe in the process, of submitting the join attempt the SAMBA service/process either doesn't re-load or crashed upon re-load. this would cause share browsing issues and also AD join. note the below format of the fields i used and in the middle of joining my friend started SAMBA when it when down

User: t3admin

AD security group: t3users

::note it's not best practice, but both of the above user and group are in the root "Users" OU. i note this for replicating the test criteria if needed:: 

DNS FQDN: t3.mydomain.com

AD domain name (FQDN): mydomain.com
AD short domain name: myworkgroup
AD account login: t3admin

AD account password: 

AD initial owner: t3admin
AD initial group: t3users

Any questions feel free to ask. i will try to help and answer. 

Pete T.

One other thing to note is that our system is still pre-production and we hadn't changed the root password from being blank. after changing it to a secure one (or any one) a number of the applied permission errors we were seeing are now completing successfully. 

don't know if this helps or does nothing, but just one more thing to review. if you are having a similar issue. 

• 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately even after thinking it was fixed after we went live the SMB shares would not allow connectivity seemingly random. 

We had to disjoin from the domain and go back to a workgroup style. Once we did that it's been super stable. I know that unraid is Linux and it's not an enterprise platform, but it should be able to do this. We were migrating from an older unraid hardware setup to a new one and are just waiting for the dust to settle on the new hardware. Once that's done we'll wipe clean the old one and I'll have a chance to use that licensed stick for a new smaller deployment for testing purposes. The first thing I am going to test/try is AD join using what I have learned from the above. I will try and document what I can and share with the group. 

Sorry for the not helpful news (so far). 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Also looking to see if there are any updates here?  I even rebuilt my entire domain from scratch to try and get this to work and it just won't work.  Definitely using the right FQDN, shortname, admin account and password.  Tried all sorts of AD owners and group, using the netbios prefix, etc.  It will not join and the unRaid log is unhelpful.

• 1 month later...

I've had similar trouble, where domain join worked for a while then just un-joined itself. It used to be that I could just re-join every time it left the domain unexpectedly, but now it won't join at all. I had 2 servers with the same issue. I've tried everything above, plus:
*Deleted the computer account from Active Directory before attempting re-join
*Updating from 'stable' to 'Next' to see if support improved
*Confirmed other machines can join the domain
*Tried joining as a different user (some said this worked in other forums)
Paste of my logs from when I attempted to join: https://pastebin.com/sNi22RBg

Let me know if there is any news. I can access stuff over FTP as a workaround still but I kind of need SMB working.

• 4 months later...

If anyone is still searching, I eventually found a solution in another post several months later. See below.
I have not tested extensively but it has worked for me so far. Either running the command in the console before re-joining the domain, or adding the script to /boot/config/go as a more permanent fix.
I don't know if this will fix the issue for the OP, but it fixed mine, which seemed to be the same issue.

Edited by Foxglove