Upgrading Pairty and moving old to array need help

xxsxx47

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

1-- Do you presently have any data drives in the old setup that you want to reuse in the new setup?

2-- How many parity drives do you have now? 

1- I have only 1 Data drive that is 8 tb that i went to reuse in the new setup

2- I have now 2 parity drives that are 2x 10 tb

i didn't do any peclear it the drives

that will look like this

• 2 Parity Drives that are 10 tb
  • 3 Data drives 1x 10tb ( New drive ) , 2x 8 tb ( One old data drive ) and ( the old parity drive )

so i started the Operation for upgrade yesterday following this guide did the new configuration did a maintain only for cache and data drives only

move the old parity drive to the data drives as second one and didn't format it yet and add the third drive as the 10 tb and both the new parity drives

and did the Parity-Check it will take 1 day and 7 hours ( only remning now 9 hours the speed go up and down from 57.9 up to 129 )

am now at 78 % done , but am worried about the Sync errors corrected : 1099825108 is it normal to reach after an upgrade like this ?

here is the diagnostics file and screenshots hope it helps

Do a new configuration, and assign the new parity, all data disks to their respective slots. And assign the current parity to the next data slot (if you intend to use it as a data drive). (Update - select the option to allow you to do maintain the drive assignments. Replace the parity mapping with the new parity drive, and add the old parity as a data disk. You can also add additional disks if so desired.)

7. Start the array. Let parity build. Do not format the unformatted old parity disk. Do not write to the array. (Update - may have to stop Dockers and VMs that might do writes to the array. If you do writes, your lose the ability to recover if a drive fails during the rebuild. That is a low risk so it is up to you if you want to avoid the writes.)

8. Should something go wrong like a red ball, save the syslog (Update - generate the Diagnostics file), stop the array, shutdown the server, fix loose connection (often the cause of the red ball), restore the USB (config directory) backup, and reboot. The old parity will be back in its prior place and the red ball will likely be gone. Run a parity check. You may get a few sync errors early. It's ok. Go back to step 3. Or ask for advice on the forum if drive red balls again.

9. If all goes well with the build do a parity check.

10. If the parity check goes well, then format the old parity, delete the USB (config directory) backup (it is dangerous now and you never want to use it again), and write to the array all you want!

tower-diagnostics-20190909-1716.zip

Array & Parity.jpg

Settings.jpg

Edited by xxsxx47
Adding ScreenShots

Let the parity sync finish.  I seem to recall that the Sync errors are a common occurrence as this is the first time that parity has been calculated for these disks.  The speed will increase after it gets done with the 8TB data drive.  (I didn't look it up but I would suspect that it is a shingled drive.)  

Edited by Frank1940