USB Failure - Unmountable: No file system

Hey

Long story short the USB failed on my UnRaid Server. I have the backup files from the the original USB.

I replaced the USB and transferred my licence key today. On boot up all went well (except from the network config) however none of the of drives were assigned to disk numbers. I manually assigned all the disks (with the exception of the 2 off parity drives) and started the array.

Once the array started disk 3 has the error "Unmountable: No file system" I have ran the Check Filesystem Status with the following output:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... superblock read failed, offset 250051215360, size 131072, ag 1, rval -1 fatal error -- Input/output error

I know I have 2 good parity drives but when I add them to the array UnRaid wants to format them.

Correction - UnRaid Array Opertions is saying "Start will start Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild" instead of asking me to format the drives.

Will this allow me to rebuild Disk 3?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

J

unraid-diagnostics-20190908-1639.zip

ArrayOperations.PNG

WDC_WD30EFRX-68AX9N0_WD-WMC1T1097460-20190908-1840.txt

Edited by Jonathan0104
Added SMART Report

You said you had the flash backup, but it doesn't sound like you actually used it on your new flash. The disk assignments are in config/super.dat, and assuming you were able to use that file from the backup, your drives should have come up assigned as before. All of your configuration is in the config folder and you should have copied that whole folder from your backup.

Where you are now sounds as if you may have mistakenly assigned one of your parity disks to the disk3 slot.

You say Unraid wants to format your parity disks, but parity disks don't have a format because they have no filesystem. Unraid will never try to format disks in the parity slots because that doesn't make any sense. And the fact that the disk you assigned as disk3 is saying it has no filesystem is why I think it is probably one of your parity disks.

What Unraid will do is build parity onto any disks assigned to those slots. You don't want to do that if those disks may contain data obviously. There is a way to get Unraid to not build parity but we will leave that for later.

The best way to proceed if you can't figure out the correct disk assignment is to assign ALL disks to data slots and NONE to parity slots. Then any disks that show as unmountable are probably the parity disks. In any case, you can be sure that any disk that does mount is definitely NOT a parity disk.

Please check everything again and consider what I have said here, then come back for further advice.

• Like 1

Hey trurl, thanks for your reply.

You said you had the flash backup, but it doesn't sound like you actually used it on your new flash. The disk assignments are in config/super.dat, and assuming you were able to use that file from the backup, your drives should have come up assigned as before. All of your configuration is in the config folder and you should have copied that whole folder from your backup.

I created a new USB Key from the USB Media Creator and replaced the entire config folder with that off the backup. I found it strange that the drives never showed up as I had to delete the network.cfg file to allow it to boot as it was coming up with a network error in the kernel. Once deleting network.cfg it booted fine.

Where you are now sounds as if you may have mistakenly assigned one of your parity disks to the disk3 slot.

You say Unraid wants to format your parity disks, but parity disks don't have a format because they have no filesystem. Unraid will never try to format disks in the parity slots because that doesn't make any sense. And the fact that the disk you assigned as disk3 is saying it has no filesystem is why I think it is probably one of your parity disks.

disk3 is definitely a data drive as the 2 off parity drives in the machine are the only 2 off 10Tb Drives installed.

I updated my post not sure if you saw it but UnRaid was wanting to format disk3 not the parity drives. I had just added the parity drives to the Array Devices when the message appeared. I mistakenly thought it was the parity drives causing it but updated my post when I realised I was mistaken. For clarification I have not started the array with the parity drives assigned.

28 minutes ago, trurl said:

What Unraid will do is build parity onto any disks assigned to those slots. You don't want to do that if those disks may contain data obviously. There is a way to get Unraid to not build parity but we will leave that for later.

I believe where I am sitting just now is with 2 off good unmounted parity drives and with a failed disk3 that I cannot recover via "Check Filesystem Status"

Any guidance is much appreciated, thanks again for your time.

Cheers

J

Edited by Jonathan0104
Clarification

The flash backup was from the 27/08/2019. That was when the server went down. 

Yeah I have backups of all the really important stuff but I do not know what specifically was on that disk. Ideally I would just like it back considering there is 2 good parity drives. Disk Drive combined with USB Failure has just kind of screwed me.

File system check was run from both UI and CLI with array running in Maintenance Mode.

Long story is used a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB Drive (which after the fact seems to be a bad choice), combined with some home renovations that are ongoing the sparky has been flipping the power on and off so the server has been hard shutdown multiple times to which it powers itself on after a power failure. I have since invested in a UPS for the server which is now installed and up and running.

I could pull the drive and run it through some recovery software if that would make things simpler and someone can recommend a good software suite for XFS recovery.

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Filesystem repair isn't working because disk3 is failing, if you don't have valid parity you can try cloning the disk with ddrescue then repair filesystem, it might work depending on how bad the disk is.

Thanks Johnnie,

I beleive I have 2 off valid parity drives but they are unmounted because of the USB failure.

Is there anyway to force mount them without re-writing parity and rebuild disk 3?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Jonathan0104 said:

is it just a matter of adding the parity disks and starting the array?

No, you need to use the invalidslot command, follow the instructions below carefully:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Assign any missing disk(s), like both parity disks (command below needs both parity disks assigned, it's different with just single parity) and new disk3
-Important - After checking the assignments leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type (don't copy/paste directly from the forum, as sometimes it can insert extra characters):

mdcmd set invalidslot 3

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box (GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the invalid slot command, but they won't be as long as the procedure was correctly done), disk3 will start rebuilding, disk may or not mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check

• Thanks 1

Hey Johnnie

I have done as you said and the array now reports rebuilding disk 3 contents, let's hope. Shame the shucked drive was a desktop drive and not a WD Red but desperate times.

Thanks for everything will let you know how it goes. Still got the old drive on the desk if I need to do a recovery.

Cheers

J

• 4 weeks later...