6.5.0 Backup Solutions?

SliMat

Hi all

I was wondering what, if any, backup solutions people use on their array data?

Like most, I have an array full of movies, music, photos and documents. Among all this data there are some bits which I cannot afford to lose. Typically my documents and photos. Whilst I'd be upset losing music or movies - it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I typically backup my most important data to a USB disk on a PC connected to my LAN using an opensource solution called Areca. This is a bit clunky but does work effectively and I have, successfully, restored data which has been accidentally overwritten or deleted in the past... so I know it works!

I would like to find a solution which would allow me to plug my 4Tb USB disk directly into my UnRAID server and then backup my most critical data to this USB disk. Ideally it should be incremental with versioning. I could create a Windows 7, or Ubuntu, VM on my UnRAID box and connect the USB drive so it can be seen by the VM and continue to use Areca Backup - but was wondering if anyone knew of any clever Dockers or other apps which already do this?

Oh... I do have another UnRAID server hosted in a datacenter which has NextCloud running on it... but there is only 1.5Tb space on it - but if there is a docker which would allow me to backup directly to the remote server onto NextCloud then that might be a good solution to look at ;-)

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by SliMat

OK... have decided to give Duplicati a go and it seems to be working fine at the moment.

But, the one thing I can't work out, is whether in the event of a complete UnRAID failure, can the backups on my USB drive be restored on a different machine with different configuration? Or by plugging it in to a PC and running a version on the local machine?

Thanks

22 hours ago, SliMat said:

OK... have decided to give Duplicati a go and it seems to be working fine at the moment.

But, the one thing I can't work out, is whether in the event of a complete UnRAID failure, can the backups on my USB drive be restored on a different machine with different configuration? Or by plugging it in to a PC and running a version on the local machine?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it can. Duplicati has a few bugs though. It either works or it doesnt.

13 hours ago, DisplayNerd said:

I'm pretty sure it can. Duplicati has a few bugs though. It either works or it doesnt.

I have had Duplicati running backups for a few days and already it has failed several times... one share has only 15 files and the first time I ran it it says "Found 22443 remote files that are not recorded in local storage, please run repair". So I deleted the configuration details and recreated it and it ran fine. It did this to all but the first backup profile created. During my media backup the WebUI stopped working, after 17hrs or so, so I ended up restarting the docker and then when I tried running the backup again it showed the same error.

So I am still looking for another solution as this, sadly, seems too flaky to rely on. Its a shame as I really like the look and simplicity of it.

OK... I am trying Cloudberry at the moment and it look(ed) quite promising. But... some of my shares are 600Gb+ in size and during the first initial full backup one share took about 36hrs to transfer 500Gb (ish) - however since then it seems to be transferring at about 2Gb per day... as I am on my first share and have another 2 big shares I am wondering why its so slow as I don't really want it to run for weeks for the first backup!

My USB disk is plugged into a USB 3 port BTW.

Any thoughts appreciated?

• 3 weeks later...

(Sorry for late reply, took a break from the forums)

You could try rclone. rclone can sync data from one place to another so I think it would work for your USB drive.

Duplicacy (not duplicati) is possible, but use at your own risk. I don't believe it was made for UNRAID. Also, the error with Duplicati may have been fixed. I have tried 2.0.3.3_beta (earlier version) and i think it works. The newest (fixed) one is 2.0.4.30_canary (I'd wait for next beta before trying again).

Personally, I would chose rclone if you simply want to sync. It has a sync function that moves any files that were edited (essentially mirroring any directory you want and updating it). Rclone would have to be used in terminal and you would have to schedule it with cron, but I think it is the best. You can get the User Scripts plugin to help with making custom scripts that can be scheduled. Also rclone supports nextcloud/owncloud :)

Edited by DisplayNerd