Migrate Unraid license to new hardware, new drives, new config

Oxxy

Hi all

My scenario.

I have done some reading on transferring the license to a new USB, but my case seems a little different.

I have set up an entirely new system, new server, new drives, new dockers, new config. This has been done with a trial license. Data transferred from old to new.

My existing Unraid server has a full top tier license.

What i want to do.

I'd like to find the easiest way to migrate the license/config to the new server, and abandon the old. I have backed up the config of the official licensed server. I dont mind keeping the original USB flash drive if this is easier.

But i am little confused as to how best to do this. Should i just wipe the licensed USB flash drive, copy the contents of the trial to it, and boot with that? I assume its not that simple.

As I understand it, you can do it either way.  Begin by making sure that you have a backup copy of both Flash Drives before you do anything.

1--  Copy the contents of the trial license flash drive to the original flash drive drive.   Make sure that you delete the trial license .key file from the config directory and copy the original  flash drive's .key file to the config directory.   Be sure that you run the make_bootable file again as administrator.  

2-- Delete the trial license .key from the new boot drive for the new system.  Copy the original .key file to the config directory.  Reboot the system and go through the procedure to get a new .key file for that new flash drive.  (I believe this will mean that the old flash drive's GUID number will now be blacklisted!) 

It depends a lot on what you want to do.  Personally, if I had  gotten a name-brand quality flash drive for my trial license testing, I would continue using that for the new system.  (Flash drives don't last forever...)  It won't make much difference in setup time regardless of which method you chose. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Frank :)

That was a quick and straightforward reply, really appreciated it.

The drive is newer, though essentially same brand and model. It would in some ways be preferable to just transfer the license if the whole new hardware/config etc doesn't get in the way. And from what you said it shouldn't. 

I'll look more closely at both options.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Oxxy said:

It would in some ways be preferable to just transfer the license if the whole new hardware/config etc doesn't get in the way. And from what you said it shouldn't. 

I probably should have posted this link with info about how to do this:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

If you followed procedure 2 above,  once booted the array will not start and you will see the message 'Invalid, missing or expired registration Key' Click 'registration Key', and you follow the procedure from there. 

Just wanted to both say thanks and give an update.

I nuked everything except the license on the original flash drive, copied over all the files representing the very different config from the new systems flash drive, and it all just works.

Appreciate the assist.

Cheers