Ryzen w/o graphics and only one PCIE

Ancan

Hi all,

I'm currently testing out Unraid on my to-be home server, and got a bit perplexed when I only got a black screen booting the system. Turns out I haven't read up on the latest in CPU's and the Ryzen 2600 I've got has no integrated GPU.

Problem is my mini-ITX only got one PCI-E slot and that's where the disk controller goes.

So, I got it going by putting an old graphics card there, and did the basic setup with a couple of disk plugged into the mobo SATA sockets. Now it works without the graphics card in place. Yay!

But what will happen if (when) I will need to do something that requires a monitor connected to the computer, and I will have to disconnect the controller/disks by removing the controller card? Will I risk loosing data, or will all be fine once I put the controller back in place?

2 hours ago, Ancan said:

will all be fine

Yes and no.

If less then 1 or 2 disk missing (in case array auto start), i.e. you have 1 or (2) parity and only missing 1 or (2) disk, then array would allow start but the missing disk will be in emulate state and waiting for rebuild.

If you missing 3 or more disk, then array won't allow start because too much error.

Edited by Benson
5 hours ago, Benson said:

Yes and no.

If less then 1 or 2 disk missing (in case array auto start), i.e. you have 1 or (2) parity and only missing 1 or (2) disk, then array would allow start but the missing disk will be in emulate state and waiting for rebuild.

If you missing 3 or more disk, then array won't allow start because too much error.

In my case, all disks except cache would be gone. So it won't start the array, but it won't trash anything either?