Epyc or Threadripper?

Jeffarese

Hello,

I'm upgrading a server I have at home and I'm looking at Epyc & Threadripper CPUs.

My needs are:

1 VM as main development server which also acts as CI/CD running tests

Multiple VMs for testing

VPN & firewall

Media center (automation with Plex, Sonarr, Radarr...etc)

I currently have aprox 80TB and I'm planning on keep increasing this storage a lot, so I need plenty of room for storage expansion.

I also need to have some NVMe drives in RAID 0 / 10 for some very intensive IO tasks.

I do NOT need GPU power.

Looking at the new Epyc 7002 series they actually seem cheaper than current Threadrippers, the only thing it's holding me back in that regard is that at least here in Europe Epyc motherboards are pretty hard to get get.

Also, is there any reason to chose Threadripper over Epyc in my use case? high frequency is not needed for my use case at all, so I think it would be a waste of power.

In any case, which boards would you recommend? Anybody have similar setups?

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Jeffarese said:

Looking at the new Epyc 7002 series they actually seem cheaper than current Threadrippers, the only thing it's holding me back in that regard is that at least here in Europe Epyc motherboards are pretty hard to get get.

Not here in Germany, starting at 360€, https://geizhals.de/?cat=mbsp3

Same with CPU, starting at 390€, https://geizhals.de/?cat=cpuamdam4&xf=12099_Server~820_SP3

• 2 weeks later...