Kendos-Kenlen

Pass through only 1 RTX GPU with 4 identical GPU on the machine

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello !

I followed the documentation about passing through my RTX card to my VM but it does not work as my computer has 4 identical GPU (4 2080ti). When I checked the Archlinux wiki, they explained that a script is necessary to bind the GPU as all GPUs has the same vendor and device ID and thus, the ID cannot be simply passed to the vfio-pci parameter.

How can this be done using unraid? I succeed to use this way to pass through my GPU when dealing manually with the pass through on a Ubuntu/KVM manual setup, but I would like to ease my management with unraid.

PS: sorry if I am not able to test your suggests this week. National holidays are held for two days and as such, I cannot test it until monday. Sorry!

Edited by Kendos-Kenlen

On 9/11/2019 at 11:00 PM, scorcho99 said:

Are you sure its the 4 identical cards causing the problem and not something else?

I succeed in doing all the pass through in Ubuntu with scripts but could not pass the ID to vfio and had to use a script for that.

I tried to give the right ID to vfio-pci.id parameter as recommended in the doc, but the cards did not appear so I guess the issue is the same. However, I don't know where I could get logs or info about this. What I am sure about tho is that the devices supposed to appear in PCI available to be assigned to the VM qre not listed.

PS: Sorry, didn't get any mail notification about your reply.

Edited by Kendos-Kenlen

I'm a little bit confused about what you mean.

In unraid, you don't need to to bind the GPUs to vfio as unraid doesn't load any modules for the cards (Unless you boot in gui mode).

So when you add a VM, all GPUs should be available in the GPU section of the VM template. They do not appear in the other pic devices at the bottom of the template if that is what you think.

My current issue is that when I create a VM and select my RTX 2080ti card for the pass through, I have a message saying "Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.". However, both my GPU and the sound card that goes with it are in the same iommu group (group 45 for example).

I checked the documentation linked above which says:

[RTX] GPUs feature a USB controller built into the GPU. This is quite fortunate as it can be used with a USB hub to then act as a device your Windows VM can interact with more naturally (such as supporting hot plugging USB devices). However, it is recommended that you stub this device to ensure it's driver isn't loaded with Unraid OS. To stub the device, perform the following steps:

So I proceeded as recommended in the documentation to add the vfio-pci.ids parameter in syslinux configuration. However, this parameter does not work (PCI devices supposed to appear as stated in the doc don't appear). After some researches, I figured out that I cannot just pass the ID as this couple of vendor/device ID correspond to more than one device (my 4 GPU).

I am stuck now not knowing what to do.

3 hours ago, Kendos-Kenlen said:

My current issue is that when I create a VM and select my RTX 2080ti card for the pass through, I have a message saying "Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.". However, both my GPU and the sound card that goes with it are in the same iommu group (group 45 for example).

I checked the documentation linked above which says:

So I proceeded as recommended in the documentation to add the vfio-pci.ids parameter in syslinux configuration. However, this parameter does not work (PCI devices supposed to appear as stated in the doc don't appear). After some researches, I figured out that I cannot just pass the ID as this couple of vendor/device ID correspond to more than one device (my 4 GPU).

I am stuck now not knowing what to do.

There is a new method to bind to the vfio module. It's documented in the 6.7 release thread.

Even if there are multiple devices with the same ID, you can still bind it as described in the wiki. For some reason the method in the wiki doesn't work for everyone, so u raid added an alternative method.

On 9/16/2019 at 7:27 AM, Kendos-Kenlen said:

Could you give me a link to this topic/documentation? I was not able to find it in the topic in announcement forum.

You have to read the first post of the 6.7 release thread.