Hello,

I logged in today just to see these two messages:

Unraid Cache disk SMART health [197]: 11-09-2019 11:47
Warning [TOWER] - current pending sector is 1
CT1000MX500SSD1_1922E2086346 (sdb)

Unraid Cache disk SMART message [197]: 11-09-2019 12:17
Notice [TOWER] - current pending sector returned to normal value
CT1000MX500SSD1_1922E2086346 (sdb)

I ran the SMART check but it came back normal.

How worried should I be?

Many thanks

Known firmware issue with that specific series (MX500) of Crucial drive.

How worried? In isolation, it's fine. However, it is dangerous in the sense that you will either need to set the system to no longer alert you to the issue, or get bombarded with false alerts. Either way, it's the boy who cried wolf. If the drive actually starts having issues you won't notice as readily.

I don't know of a fix that doesn't involve ignoring the error.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

SSDs usually don't really get pending sectors anyways

Yeah, except when they do.

I very recently had a CT480BX200SSD1 fail on me, and a couple months before it died completely it started kicking pending sectors followed by reallocating them. As long as you don't ignore a rising reallocated count I guess it would be ok to ignore pending.

• 7 months later...

Greetings! I just ran across a similar error when adding my old Crucial M4 SSD (model M4-CT256M4SSD2) as a cache drive in unraid. Running SSD-life.com's health check on the SSD shows it was OK (76% life). I then attempted to update the firmware from 000F to 07MH, but it stated no eligible drive was found so still running 000F. I have a few Samsung SSDs I may use instead after confirming I don't need their windows images (thought about maybe virtualizing them for utorrent), but wanted to try this one SSD first.

Here are the errors posted in unraid under "fix common problems" (cool plugin by the way!):

Unraid Cache disk SMART health [5]: 21-04-2020 19:15

Warning [TOWER] - reallocated sector ct is 24576
M4-CT256M4SSD2_0000000011490323E31B (sdf)

Unraid Cache disk SMART health [199]: 21-04-2020 19:15

Warning [TOWER] - udma crc error count is 1
M4-CT256M4SSD2_0000000011490323E31B (sdf)

6 hours ago, realdiel said:

I just ran across a similar error when adding my old Crucial M4 SSD

This topic is about the MX500 which has a known issue with an appearing and disappearing pending sector, your issue is different, those are actual SMART warnings, though the CRC error is a connection issue, usually a cable problem, but you can acknowledged both by clicking on the thumbs down icon on the dashboard.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 1:52 AM, johnnie.black said:

This topic is about the MX500 which has a known issue with an appearing and disappearing pending sector, your issue is different, those are actual SMART warnings, though the CRC error is a connection issue, usually a cable problem, but you can acknowledged both by clicking on the thumbs down icon on the dashboard.

Ok. That's good to know (these being legit errors). I'll test my SSD further to see if this issue is continuing. I have a newish 1 TB Samsung SSD to replace it with. My Crucial M4 is around 10 years old and acted as my primary drive for Windows 10 and a few games. Maybe it's time to retire it!