Unraid no longer recognizes drive after PCB surgery

mcrommert

Any suggestions are welcome :)

I am running 13 drives in a das to an hp proliant server with an lsi card over 3 mini sas connections.  While trying to build a new case i broke the sata connection (plastic part) off a drive.  To test i pulled the pcb off another drive to see if it would allow it to connect  - it didn't work.  When i returned the pcb to the original drive - it also failed.  As i was in the middle of transfering my windows array to unraid (and hadn't yet spun up a parity drive :( ) i am looking for any help in troubleshooting the issue - trying to see if the drive is getting any sort of error when the computer boots or it just doesn't detect at all.  As the drives are xfs my windows and mac computers are of limited use in troubleshooting.  Thanks for your help.

Edit: mainly concerned about the donor drive - i need to find a different pcb for the broken drive - The drive spins up and seems to be seeking but is not detected by unraid in the ui

Edited by mcrommert
10 hours ago, mcrommert said:

The drive spins up and seems to be seeking but is not detected by unraid in the ui

Is it detected in the BIOS of the computer or in the BIOS of the LSI?  If not, then no chance unRaid will see it.  Maybe the simple answer is correct.  You blew up the PCB somehow.  AFAIK, when swapping PCBs between drives the drive models have to match perfectly.

Thank you for the answers - as a follow up was able to get the broken 8tb white to connect with a vertical usb drive bay - now building parity at about 30 MB/s (yikes) - the second drive that i unwisely operated on is dead as a doornail - this is why you don't make major decisions at 1 am

Thank you for the help - hopefully i learned my lesson