how do I add multiple users to smb extras

Rhino2310

Multiple users to do what? 

Unraid only permits a single user with root privileges.  You can add multiple users from the USERS  tab on the Toolbar.  You can add any (or any combination thereof) of these added users to any 'Secure' or 'Private' share with assigned privileges (R/W or Read only) for each user.    I can't think of any possible reason that you would have to add a user via smb-extra.conf file.  (This requirement would give any large system administrator, with a couple of dozen servers to handle, fits...) 

EDIT:  As a point of information, you can not use    root    as a user for any SMB share.  This is prohibited by smb.conf.  (It is a security risk.) 

Edited by Frank1940

[shareroot]
path = /mnt/user
comment = not public
browseable = yes
public = no
valid users = bob, dale, dale2, pete, peter, william
write list = bob, dale, dale2, pete, peter, william
vfs objects =

so would a comma work here ?

No I am not managing a massive network just 6 machines connected to the unraid server

I am not a Advanced Member 

just looking for what the format is ?

Regards

Rhino2310

Please explain what you try to accomplish.

The specific user information is stored in a different files, and the smb extra file is primary used to set specific SMB settings, which are documented by Samba, see https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html

Keep in mind that "Unraid users" is not the same as traditional "linux users". Within Unraid regular users have no access to the system itself, but are created to give access to shares. Within the GUI you can define the access rights of each user and specific share.

TY for the link.  I take it that that being the Samba peoples site rather then the UNRAID peoples site 

things would be different and not being an advanced user I would not know where to begin knowing the difference.

This is probably why a good set of documentation for UNRAID would be helpful ... 

I have 6 physical machines mostly Windows 10 but not all, some are Debian 10

one is a laptop on wifi

1 Unraid server today but awaiting setting up a second server the  last thing on the list

I wish to logon from any machine with user and password.

as normal yet have everything connected in the background so they are all visible to each other .

can read or write to any machine and from any machine including the Unraid server.

Ideally I would like to use certificates I have a domain name but this is not the next thing to do

the next thing to do is to get it to where I get what I want/need or at least what I am expecting.

and at the moment I am getting very strange results 

As an example mapping a windows drive to get full r/w rights in that level  it works but go one or 2 levels in and the permissions are gone . Windows is strange  I have reinstalled that machine more then once to make sure it was not me with a wrong setting somewhere. This has shown that Unraid is where I have the wrong setting or it is just Windows behaving terrible with Samba.

Regards

Rhino2310

Regular management of Unraid is done from the GUI, and CLI access is more of an exception. The same is true for manually editing config files.

At this level we are talking "regular" linux commands and utilities. Documentation about these can be found online, and are not specific to Unraid.

The GUI allows creation of shares, which become accessible for each remote system. When a share is given the security level "private", it will force remote systems to access such a share with a valid username and password. Associated with the username are the access rights, and for private share there are 3 options: no access, read only or read-write. All controlled from the GUI.

Not sure what you mean with "they are visible to each other". Any system which has SMB enabled will become visible on the local network, regardless of Unraid.

Unraid does not take part in any communication between remote systems themselves.

When permissions are not set correctly (maybe due to copying from different sources/users/applications), you can run "New Permissions"  -- see Tools --  to restore each share to the correct permissions.

• 6 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 11:43 AM, bonienl said:

Creating users and assigning/maintaining associated rights is all done in the GUI.

There is no need to do this by manually editing the smb config file.

These types of responses are not helpful and have rendered this thread useless to anyone who comes across it looking for the same information @Rhino2310 was looking for.  Hopefully someone else can provide a helpful response to this simple syntax question.

This config edit appears to be very common when considering YouTube videos demonstrate it and have multiple thankful comments on them.  All the OP and I are looking for is a way to define multiple users in the highlighted config line below:

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = no
valid users = 
write list = 
vfs objects =

i.e.

• valid users = george,lucas,rey
  • valid users = george;lucas;rey
  • valid users = [george,lucas,rey]

This is not a question about if it should be done, how it should be done (GUI, CLI, config edits, etc.)...

Just CAN it be done?  If it can, what is the syntax to define multiple users?

If multiple users cannot be defined, can you essentially copy and paste the same share with a different user specified?

• 2 years later...

I'm sorry to necro this post, but the response here is why the Linux community gets such a bad rap. When a direct question is asked, someone who knows the answer, won't answer the question, and will instead tell you you're doing it wrong, or your question is wrong.

For anyone hoping to find an answer to the question:

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = no
valid users = user1 user2

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am on a Windows machine and my wife is on a Mac. Using the GUI, I have created 2 users (one for her and one for me) that both have access to a number of the same shares. However, we have had a variety of issues concerning her computer not being able to read or write to files that I added to shares. I noticed in SMB Extras that only my username is listed in the "valid users" and the "write list."

My question is... are the user permissions set in the GUI at all affected by the SMB Extras settings if both computers are using the SMB protocol to access the server via the OS' built in file browser: Finder (Mac) / File Explorer (Win). Is there any benefit to adding her name to the "valid users" and "write list." Or, should I remove my username so none are on the list?

Thanks!

@marionza, have a look at the PDF in the first post of this thread.  This is a general guide to setting up SMB for use with Windows. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

Particularly, note the problems that can happen with accessing Private (or Secure) shares after accessing Public shares first.  I believe these restrictions will also apply to MacOS users.  What I don't know is if MacOS has the equivalent of Windows Credential manager to handle auto-login task.  

Here is the Link to the special settings that may be needed for MacOS/SMB integration:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/macos-optimization-r2087/

There is also a specific forum for MacOS/SMB issues:

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/103-macossmb/

8 hours ago, marionza said:

However, we have had a variety of issues concerning her computer not being able to read or write to files that I added to shares.

If you still have permissions issues, make note of some files (and the path(s) to the files) with issues and come back here and post again.  I will try to assist to getting to the root of the problem particularly if the problem involves only some of the files that you have added.  If it involves all of the files that you have written, that might be a completely different issue. 

If you do come back for more assistance, be sure that you include the Unraid server's diagnostics file in that new post!     Tools   >>>  Diagnostics