[Support] binhex - Preclear

binhex

6 hours ago, wgstarks said:

The error shows that port 6080 is already in use. Is another docker using that port?

You know, I read that and though, "that can't be the problem - this worked last time I used it and I haven't changed it at all!"

binhex-krusader uses port 6080, and I rarely used it. I've got that docker running now though, so of course it's currently in use. I changed preclear to use 6081 and all is good

I think this is all good, but it never hurts to double check:

ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
      Raw_Read_Error_Rate =    80     100           44        ok          90993936
          Seek_Error_Rate =    73      68           45        ok          21274715
         Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100           97        near_thresh 0
         End-to-End_Error =   100     100           99        near_thresh 0
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    58      55           40        near_thresh 42
      Temperature_Celsius =    42      45            0        ok          42
   Hardware_ECC_Recovered =     6     100            0        near_thresh 90993936
 No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

My only real concern is the Hardware ECC Recovered because I don't recall seeing that on drives previously. Does that look like an issue at all? I'd presume that the Raw_Value for that is somewhat meaningless...

I've added an indicator to UD whenever preclear is running.  It will show the format button as 'Preclear' while the script is running, and turn off when the script is finished.  You definitely don't want to try any disk operations in UD (like Format) when a disk is preclearing.  This will be in the next release.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Could someone please provide a little more detail on running mulitple preclears with this docker?  I read this:

Q5. Can i preclear multiple disks at the same time?.

A5. Yes this is possible, you simply create an additional 'tab' in the 'Xfce terminal' and then run the script again against the additional named drive.

But I'm unfamiliar with how to create an additional tab in the XFCE terminal.  Is another docker/plugin required?  Thanks.

Edited by betaman
2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Try this:

Doh! I'm helping a friend remotely and didn't realize there was a menu in the VNC window since i wasn't doing it myself.

Thanks for your guide as well. Maybe worth adding a section on preclearing multiple drives would be beneficial?  Either way, thanks for the response.

• 1 month later...

I've just picked up a new USB dock (because it's a pain to get drives into my server since I don't have any hot-swap bays), and when I execute preclear_binhex.sh -f /dev/sdn, I get this:

Pre-Clear unRAID Disk /dev/sdn
################################################################## 1.22

smartctl may not be able to run on /dev/sdn with the -d ata option.
however this should not affect the clearing of a disk.
smartctl exit status = 2
smartctl 7.0 2018-12-30 r4883 [x86_64-linux-5.10.21-Unraid] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: Invalid argument

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.$
Do you wish to continue?
(Answer Yes to continue. Capital 'Y', lower case 'es'): 

I, of course, aborted out of an abundance of paranoia.

I've done preclears via USB doc before. As a matter of fact, I've done it on Seagate IronWolf drives before (this is another).  I presume that this is a failing of this particular dock?

Is it safe/recommended to continue with the preclear, especially since I'm only doing this as a pre-install test? If so, what are the '-T permissive' options, and which one(s) might I want to add?

smartctl has a database it uses based on vendor to know how to read usb devices there is a process to get them added.

Normally it will result in using -d sat internally.

If you run the command you should get an error saying cannot find usb or similar.

Then if you try smartctl -id sat /dev/sdx it may be able to read from the disk. 

30 minutes ago, SimonF said:

smartctl -id sat /dev/sdx

I ran that in a PuTTY session and it correctly ID'd the disk as a Seagate IronWolf, picked up the SN, etc. It specifically says:

Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

Which isn't surprising, it's not the first IronWolf I've installed in this machine. It is, however, the first time I've used this new USB3 enclosure, so that may be the issue.

I tried running the preclear_binhex.sh -f /dev/sdn and it gave me the same error. I'm not sure what the appropriate next step should be...

8 hours ago, FreeMan said:

I ran that in a PuTTY session and it correctly ID'd the disk as a Seagate IronWolf, picked up the SN, etc. It specifically says:

Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

Which isn't surprising, it's not the first IronWolf I've installed in this machine. It is, however, the first time I've used this new USB3 enclosure, so that may be the issue.

I tried running the preclear_binhex.sh -f /dev/sdn and it gave me the same error. I'm not sure what the appropriate next step should be...

If you run smartctl -i /dev/sdx I suspect you will get an error message about the USB.

I have just looked at the preclear script and you can use the -d option with it also.

-d device_type = supply "-d device_type" to smartctl used to get device status

I just went ahead and said "Yes" to the "are you sure you want to start" question without any additional parameters. I'm about 1/2 way through the preread. I figure if it doesn't "work" properly, the server will do whatever if deems necessary when I add the drive to the array. My goal is to exercise the drive before trusting data to it, so I guess this'll do the trick.

I may end up sending this dock back anyway, now that I know the problem is my case USB3 ports not working and that the old dock didn't fail. This one's got a fan, but I'm not sure it's helping, and it's got LEDs bright enough to be used as anti collision lights on the ISS. :(

• Like 1

My preclear has finished and gave me this result:

Elapsed Time:  38:46:05
========================================================================1.22
==    
== Disk /dev/sdn has been successfully precleared
== with a starting sector of 64
============================================================================

the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
    the number of sectors re-allocated did not change.
 SMART overall-health status =  
[root@e60018e2f375 /]# 

A) The "SMART overall-health status =" at the end seems... like something's missing.

B) Seems to me there was more to the report last time I ran this, but it's been long enough I don't honestly remember. Is something missing?

C) I went looking for the preclear report in /boot/preclear_reports where they used to be written, and realized the newest one is from 18 months ago, and my chat history here shows that my last preclear was only 3 months ago. Are the logs no longer written there? Where do I find them now?

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty certain this is relating to my disk, rather than anything to do with the container - but can anyone shed any light on what this error actually means?

From the log

== Disk /dev/sdg has NOT been successfully precleared
== Postread detected un-expected non-zero bytes on disk==
== Ran 1 cycle
==
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time   : 14:22:04 (154 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time     : 33:17:25
==
== Total Elapsed Time 33:17:25

and from the noVNC window (line feeds added for my own sanity)

00000728FCD22FA0 - 58
00000728FCD22FA1 - F8
00000728FCD22FA2 - 15
00000728FCD22FA3 - 2C
00000728FCD22FA4 - 81
00000728FCD22FA5 - 88
00000728FCD22FA6 - FF
00000728FCD22FA7 - FF
0000072F9077CFA0 - 98
0000072F9077CFA1 - 59

command was...

preclear_binhex.sh -A -W -f /dev/sdg

Edited by Meles Meles
  • 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.27d026795c480d46084ab54c5e7f3bd9.pngI am trying to preclear a 10tb drive to replace an old drive.
I have done this before about a year ago, and everything worked (last time wd red 10tb, and now wd red 10tb)
However, this time, I am getting an issue with preclear binhex and the plugin, and unassigned devices, where it only detects the drive as 1.1tb.
Doing a smart disk check on the disk in unraid reveals it as 10tb.
Starting the binhex preclear also shows user capacity as 10tb, but disk as only 1tb.
Could someone please advise?

@binhex, I am having failures to send the emails via g-mail.   The error message says "Authorization failed".  The other notifications sent directly by Unraid's Notification system work.  The e-mail process in this Docker worked previously.  However, I did change the g-mail password to increase security.   The new password contains the following three 'special characters'---  ^   %    &   

I suspect that the ampersand (&) is the problem character.  Could you check the code to see if there is a way around this issue.  Or at least let us know which special characters to avoid in passwords. 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:15 PM, Frank1940 said:

I am having failures to send the emails via g-mail.   The error message says "Authorization failed".  The other notifications sent directly by Unraid's Notification system work.  The e-mail process in this Docker worked previously.  However, I did change the g-mail password to increase security.   The new password contains the following three 'special characters'---  ^   %    &   

Any possibility that this is going to be addressed?  (I suspect that changing the  password would fix the issue for me but I don't believe that I am the only one who is impacted by this problem.)

• 1 month later...

Am doing something wrong - or is this behaving as desired?

I ran a preclear on a disk (it's a 12TB Ironwolf Pro which has just been "retired" from being my Parity drive).

60hrs later (!), it's all done. Excellent...

Tried to add the disk to the array, but it didn't appear in the dropdown. so i did a reboot.

Added to the array and started it up

*BUT* unraid is now running it's own clearing on the disk, so i've got about another 14 hrs to wait.

I thought this PreClear meant that the disk could just add straight into the array?

• 4 weeks later...

I just started preclearing a new drive using 

/usr/local/bin/preclear_binhex.sh -f -c 3 -M 4 /dev/sdo

It seems that email notifications have stopped working. With -M 4 I'm fairly sure that I should be receiving emails at every 25%. I'm currently at 45% on the disk pre-read but haven't gotten any emails. I've sent a test email successfully just to be sure the system notifications are working. Other than that I don't see anything in the logs regarding emails.

brunnhilde-diagnostics-20211130-1647.zip

• Like 1
On 11/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, wgstarks said:

I just started preclearing a new drive using 

/usr/local/bin/preclear_binhex.sh -f -c 3 -M 4 /dev/sdo

It seems that email notifications have stopped working. With -M 4 I'm fairly sure that I should be receiving emails at every 25%. I'm currently at 45% on the disk pre-read but haven't gotten any emails. I've sent a test email successfully just to be sure the system notifications are working. Other than that I don't see anything in the logs regarding emails.

brunnhilde-diagnostics-20211130-1647.zip 220.99 kB · 0 downloads

@binhex

Looks like the docker isn't able to authenticate properly with gmail. From the report at the end of the preclear-

== MercuryEliteProElitePro   XXXXXXXXXX
== Disk /dev/sdh has been successfully precleared
== with a starting sector of 64
============================================================================
/usr/local/bin/preclear_binhex.sh: line 863: [: ---: integer expression expected
/usr/local/bin/preclear_binhex.sh: line 863: [: ---: integer expression expected

the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
    the number of sectors re-allocated did not change. 
sendmail: Authorization failed (535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials j124sm226264qkd.98 - gsmtp)
/root/dead.letter 137/5191
mail: ... message not sent
[root@ba3245faa054 /]# 

I have verified that ssmtp.conf has the correct credentials and the host path is set correctly in the docker. My server sends me lots of emails with the same credentials. Not sure if the other error (line 863) has any bearing or not.

So I just went to check on my preclear and the VNC remote screen looks like attached. How do I know if it’s still running? It’s as if there’s a terminal window oversized on my screen but I can’t scroll to see any command line?

Edit: So I can see from main UnRAID screen the disk is still being written to as it was in the zeroing phase. I just can’t get the terminal window to show up?

Edit 2: So I managed to get the terminal window back but no idea what I did exactly. I was trying to set different scaling options to see if that would work but no change.  I pinched the screen (working on an iPad) and it was back. Prior I was using AnyDesk on my Windows vm to check progress. Perhaps the combination of pinching between the two caused it?? 

44F7CB5B-560D-4BD2-8C02-4C6EB6010A11.jpeg

Edited by betaman

Hello,

I'm clearing a new USB WD drive with the docker, but in my case I didn't put any "-c #" for more than 1 cycle.

I wonder if there is a way after the clear and postread is done, that I can run again the script to do only the preread and postread option, or only preread option but twice, in order to stress-test the drive before shucking it.

Unless there is no reason to it?
Please let me know.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, hrv231 said:

wonder if there is a way after the clear and postread is done, that I can run again the script to do only the preread and postread option, or only preread option but twice, in order to stress-test the drive before shucking it.

From the Tutorial Guide, page 12, you will find this:

image.png.8cc861d1dbcb4f3e624b10431e15287d.png

In case, you missed it, you can find a link to the Tutorial Guide in this post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/83465-support-binhex-preclear/?tab=comments#comment-773206

I have never actually done (or heard of anyone doing so) but since the script is basically thirteen years old if it didn't work, someone would have reported before this...    🙄