Unraid 6.7.2 GPU Passthrough

tcochran

I am trying to do GPU Pass through on my Windows 10 VM I have setup, but it never seems to recognize my video card it is plugged into. I have two AMD GPUs connected to my Motherboard, both of them older ones. Just whenever I try to connect and start it up it will never display the video on the monitor I have it plugged into. The screen always blacks out. I am certain both of them work, because I pulled them out of known working system. Since I have the GPU selected I can longer look at the desktop, also any VNC type software I use sees the VM as running. 

I am not sure what avenue to take to start troubleshooting and or fixing the problem. I know most information I have come across uses Nvidia GPUs, and I see very few with AMD GPUs being used to passthrough GPUs. I am not sure if that could be causing my problems. 

If you can let me know what information could be useful I can get that to you.

Edited by tcochran

I wasn't sure what information could be useful to start to help with troubleshooting. So that will give me information to start with.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X

MoBo: Asus ROG Strix X370-F

Ram: 4x16 GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2400

GPU: Gigabyte R9270 + Gigabyte Radeon R5 230

Storage: 2xSamsung 250 GB 860 EVO SSDs (Cache), 1x6TB Seagate IronWolf Drive (Parity), 4x4TB Seagate IronWold Drives (Storage)

What I have done so far is Setup and Win 10 VM that using the Remote Access Software built into UnRaid to get the intial setup done using SpaceInvaderOnes Video. That so far has been working fine. I currently have 4 CPUs things passed through to the VM, and 8 GB of Ram allocated to that VM. Like I said that works fine.

When I edit the Template for the VM to passthrough a GPU and then try to start it up the Monitor I have connected to one of the Video Cards looks like it is trying to start up and show the screen, but then the screen ends up just showing black. So I am unable to install drivers or do anything on them. When I try to force stop it, it hangs for a while until I hard reboot the UnRaid server and go back and remove the GPU I choose to pass through. Then everything works fine again. Until I try my other video card attached, then the process repeats. Either I am missing something, or something else.

I did double check in my BIOS and originally when I turned on the Computer The IOMMU was set to auto. I changed that to Enabled instead of Auto. I also turned on SRV-IOU in the bios, but that didn't seem to help so I turned it off.

That is a high level summary of where I am at currently. I don't know if there is other information that may be able to help with troubleshooting.

• 1 month later...

Hi tcochran! I have had the same issue with my Nvidia GPU, and I've just solved it. If you're familiar with SpaceinvaderOne videos, he's got a complete series of videos related to GPU Passthrough. You have to watch them as there's one (I can't recall which one) that provides a complete step-by-step guide on GPU Passthrough by dumping the vbios of the graphic card (specially one related to KVM, and vbios downloaded from TechPowerup website). Watch them all BEFORE start messing with your vbios just to avoid any big mistake with your graphic card. Hope this provides a little bit of light in your path...

On 9/18/2019 at 2:53 AM, tcochran said:

is there a recommended BIOS version that will keep compatibility with 2nd Generation Ryzen Processors

A late call, but I think BIOS 4207 is the best one for you for the time being. It has AGESA 1.0.0.6 and is the latest that supports only 1st and 2nd Gen, with no support for 3rd Gen. If you want to upgrade to 3rd Gen later you'll have to wait until the recently announced AGESA 1.0.0.4 (yes, the numbering system is awful - it jumped backwards and is counting upwards again) is available for your board. The latest BIOS for your board at the moment is 5220 with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA, which supports Gen 3 (except for the 3950X) but still has broken PCIe passthrough. Keep an eye on this page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X370-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/