VIDEO GUIDE - A Series of videos on creating and using encrypted unassigned disks

So this is a three part series of videos on using encrypted unassigned disks on your server.

Part 1  - Is the basics - How to easily format an unassigned encrypted disk using the cach swap technique. How to use unassigned encrypted disk on a server which doesn't have an encrypted array. And basic mounting.

Part 2  Is more advanced. Showing how to easily mount any encrypted drive. How to mount and use multiple encrypted unassigned disks with different key-files. And how to automount disks easily.

Part 3 goes onto how to create unassigned encrypted disks with multiple partitions. And how to create and format encrypted drives from the command line.

Hope its useful

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Thank you for the work you do @SpaceInvaderOne, firstly. So I went ahead and followed this guide in hopes of the end result that the SSD I'm using I would be able to use fstrim with. Unfortunately when I do so I get

fstrim: 7335940ICDPC2DD2ORA64T_PHLE8353004S6P4OGN/: the discard operation is not supported

I would like to continue to use the encryption on unassigned drives, but because of this fact I do not believe I can continue to do so.

Edited by slimshizn
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 12:42 PM, slimshizn said:

Thank you for the work you do @SpaceInvaderOne, firstly. So I went ahead and followed this guide in hopes of the end result that the SSD I'm using I would be able to use fstrim with. Unfortunately when I do so I get

I would like to continue to use the encryption on unassigned drives, but because of this fact I do not believe I can continue to do so.

Sorry to be so late to the party, but what file format are you using?

• 7 months later...

Noob here. Have spent a few weeks blundering about in Unraid and have a reasonably functional system.  Unfortunately, did not encrypt the array and will have to bite the bullet on that at some point, tho don't have anything confidential on it yet. But at least I have plenty of space to move things around. But that's not the subject of this post.

Was intrigued by Space Invader One's videos about encrypting unassigned drives and decided to encrypt an old drive and use that for confidential files. Short cut the video directions by just formatting the old drive in encrypted xfs format and assigned a passphrase.  That seemed to work fine. Put some files on it to test it with no problems. 

The problem is that if I unmount the drive, it just remounts without asking for the passphrase. I assume there is a key file somewhere with the passphrase and if I delete that, it will require the passphrase. I can keep the pass phrase elsewhere. Problem is, I don't know enough to know where the key file is. Have watched the videos, but that didn't help as to the location.

Would appreciate a pointer on that.  

Attached is a copy of my current UD configuration. 

Thanks

ud.thumb.JPG.e2e1213ef8c871c27f747aeab02128fb.JPG