(SOLVED) /var/log is getting full

FraxTech

In the Fix Common Problems plugin I'm getting the following error:

/var/log is getting full (currently 100 % used)

Either your server has an extremely long uptime, or your syslog could be potentially being spammed with error messages. A reboot of your server will at least temporarily solve this problem, but ideally you should seek assistance in the forums and post your diagnostics.

I'm not sure what this means, or how to look at the logs. so I was hoping someone here could give me a hand.  I have posted a copy of the diagnostics below.  Thanks for any help you can give!!

epcot-diagnostics-20190915-2320.zip

The system is reporting file system corruption on many drives and the log is full of messages relating to this.    It seems unlikely that so many disks would simultaneously develop such problems so you may have a disk controller problem.

i would suggest that you start by rebooting the server to reset the hardware and then start the array in Maintenance mode and click on each drive in turn on the Main tab to run a file system check.   If any drive reports a problem you then need to run a repair (typically by removing the -n option from the check parameters).

Edited by itimpi

OK, so all of my drives are housed in a NetApp Disk Shelf and I'm guessing my disk shelf either rebooted or went offline briefly on Sep 6th while I was on vacation.  I do have notifications set up, but I wasn't near a computer for a week, so I didn't see them. 

When I got back, I saw all the errors, but the array was up and running and the server seemed to be working fine.  So I just stopped and restarted the array, which seemed to fix all the errors, but I guess that didn't clear the log.  I'll try restarting and see if that helps.  

Thanks guys!!

I restarted the system, started the array in Maintenance Mode as @itimpi recommended and checked each drive.  I didn't find any errors on any of the drives, so I stopped the array and restarted it normally.  After this, I re-ran the Fix Common Problems scan and it did not detect an error with the log again, so it looks like everything is fine.  

Thanks for your help, @BRiT and @itimpi!!  Updating title to "Solved." 

• FraxTech changed the title to (SOLVED) /var/log is getting full