[SOLVED] HP DL380e Gen8 - USB 3?

Glassed Silver

Heya guys!

I'm trying to add USB 3.0 to my DL380e right now. The card I bought is an HP branded card to avoid the fan noise issue us HP users know and hate...

Either way, the card I got is the "HP SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe x1 Card" (part no. 663213-001). I installed it and it got recognized in unRAID:

IOMMU group 23:	[104c:8241] 0d:00.0 USB controller: Texas Instruments TUSB73x0 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 xHCI Host Controller (rev 02)

All fine, all good... or is it? I attach my 3.5" WD Elements drive to it (with external power) but it doesn't work.... No new unassigned drive. With the built-in 2.0 ports it get recognized.

The main reason I bought this card was that it is a nice way to pre-clear a drive at least for 1 pass at acceptable speed before I go ahead and shuck it. (I'd pre-clear at least with another pass after shucking, but before I risk breaking a tab despite some training... I'd rather like to know it's worth pulling it apart)

Syslog:

Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: ACPI: Early table checksum verification disabled
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): Invalid length for FADT/Pm1aControlBlock: 32, using default 16 (20180810/tbfadt-674)
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): Invalid length for FADT/Pm2ControlBlock: 32, using default 8 (20180810/tbfadt-674)
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_SUPPORT); disabling ASPM
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: acpi PNP0A08:01: _OSC failed (AE_SUPPORT); disabling ASPM
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: pci_bus 0000:1f: busn_res: can not insert [bus 1f-ff] under domain [bus 00-ff] (conflicts with (null) [bus 00-1f])
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: pci_bus 0000:1f: busn_res: can not insert [bus 1f] under domain [bus 00-ff] (conflicts with (null) [bus 00-1f])
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: pci_bus 0000:3f: busn_res: can not insert [bus 3f-ff] under domain [bus 00-ff] (conflicts with (null) [bus 20-3f])
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: pci_bus 0000:3f: busn_res: can not insert [bus 3f] under domain [bus 00-ff] (conflicts with (null) [bus 20-3f])
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: pci 0000:0a:00.0: BAR 6: failed to assign [mem size 0x00100000 pref]
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: floppy0: no floppy controllers found
Sep 16 20:19:15 Ahri kernel: random: 6 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
Sep 16 20:20:16 Ahri rpc.statd[2403]: Failed to read /var/lib/nfs/state: Success
Sep 16 20:20:34 Ahri avahi-daemon[6741]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Sep 16 20:23:26 Ahri kernel: ACPI Error: SMBus/IPMI/GenericSerialBus write requires Buffer of length 66, found length 32 (20180810/exfield-393)
Sep 16 20:23:26 Ahri kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PMI0._PMM, AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20180810/psparse-516)
Sep 16 20:23:26 Ahri kernel: ACPI Error: AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, Evaluating _PMM (20180810/power_meter-338)

The last few lines repeat a lot. My assumption is my card isn't liking that I haven't attached the SATA power connector to it, but I read that it should be good to go without SATA power as long as the devices attached don't need power from the USB port?

If that's the case I'll go ahead and buy the needed SATA slimline to SATA power connector adapter, but if I can do without that'd clearly be preferable.

Or maybe the card isn't fit for a DL380e G8 with unRAID to begin with and I can discard that idea right away...? I know it's not advertised as compatible for DL380 servers but rather for workstations and the like, but adding USB3 at a low cost would REALLY be a massive quality of life upgrade for me. I could make good use of the second port for something like a backup drive that I can disconnect at will or to pull data from drives.

Any ideas? Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by Glassed Silver
solved

Hi.

The key word here is "SuperSpeed". I assume your card have something called UASP support?

I have been struggling with a USB 3.0 card with UASP (or "SuperSpeed") for a while, and I too am unable to get it working properly with UnRaid. Too me, it seems like the passthrough is broken for any cards or devices requiring UASP..

However, the cards work with UnRaid, but ONLY if you disable IOMMU (which defeats the purpose if you want passthrough..), then they work fine, devices show up and the card is working like it would on bare metal.

Disabling IOMMU is system wide. It's all or nothing.

If you don't need passthrough, disable IOMMU, some (if not all) USB 3.0 cards atleast, tend to work better, in my experience..

There should be no hypervisor drawbacks, your VMs should function like normal. A fast way to disable IOMMU for me, was to add "iommu=soft" to the startup parameters...

• 3 months later...

Follow up for anyone wanting to do the same:

the USB3 card I bought definitely needs additional power to function!

No IOMMU disable is required, all I had to do was buy an adapter that turns full SATA into Slimline SATA. Attach the SATA cable that came with the card to the adapter and plug it into the full-size SATA port that is conveniently located right next to the PCIe expansion slots.

You want an adapter like this one:

"Slimline SATA to SATA Adapter with Power - F/M (SLSATAADAP)" Amazon.de link to check out the picture. No affiliate link!

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Hi mate I also got the 663213-001 , got the adapter so it is now powered ( I can see that the power powerks because connected USB devices flashes)

But the USB devices are not recognized.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 do I need to install some additional drivers?

Are you running Ubuntu or Windows?

Thanks a bunch in forward