Full ssd based system

Antdonn

Hi , 

‘I’m wanting to build a nas system entirely of ssd based drives. The capacity many Cary from 4tb - 8tb and some for redundancy

1. The sound is 0

2. Lower power comsumption

3. Cheaper

is there any advise you can give me, as I’ve read many articles, and am confused as a can of spaghetti, plus I’m not a millionaire to afford iornwolf drives.

Thanks in advance 

antdonn

6 hours ago, Antdonn said:

3. Cheaper

Not sure where you get this idea ?    In my experience SSDs are significantly more expensive than HDDs of the same capacity. 

At some point SSDs will probably become cost-effective so I expect that Limetech are looking at all the issues that need resolving to allow SSD’s to be safely used as array drives.

@Antdonn

I was actually able to find a HP Proliant DL380 G7 with 2 x Intel Xeon X5660 2.8 GHZ and 32 Gigs of RAM on ebay for a great price. it was something like 150 bucks if I remember correctly.

By the time the item arrived, it was apparent that the reason it was so cheap is that it had been dropped. I do not think it was in shipment either. I ended up getting refund of half of that making my current investment around 70 bucks. To sweeten the deal I asked for drive caddies to save further money. No matter, it booted and the components worked. This thing had a nice 8 bays I could use. (Due to chassis warping I only could effectively use 7 of them though)

I Started with a 32 Gig small Samsung USB and a hodgepodge of sata drives simply using the built in raid controller. I was forced to configure raid 0's on the controller before the OS would see them.

I eventually purchased a 4 TB HDD for parity. (My logic here was that anything large enough to house parity for the future was going to be WAY too expensive in SSD's)

Finally, one by one I started switching over all HDD's to SSD's. First 500's, and now I have 6 x 1 TB in SSD. The only mechanical I have is  my Parity still. The Server comes with 4 network ports in it so I bonded these and purchased a switch.

I was not too picky in SSD's the reason for this was the slowest SSD's are still going to out perform a lot of mechanical drives on the market if not all of them. I look for longevity in them. Crucial's MX Series seem to have a great life span and they offer up a nice robust warranty to go with them for a decent price (A bit more than the sandisk line but I believe the warranty is longer if I am not mistaken)

In a perfect world I would have gone all Crucial MX series 1 TB and then move up. However, I pieced this thing together, I think I have 2 x WD Blues, 2 x Inlands, and 2 x Sandisks. All 1 TB. 

I haven't seen any issues outside of when I would try to upgrade or move around drives. this was just recently with Debris from dust building up getting into the sata ports giving me a world of hurt. (And other issues that were my own making which we will just chalk up to life lessons)

I would say in hind sight, some research to do on a system you plan to install SSD's in. 

1. Backplane - Be sure the backplane is not older in the server you purchase or you can upgrade it to a standard that will handle the speeds your SSD's put out.

2. Raid controller - A lot of people seem to be using LSI controllers I believe. They are flashed to "I.T. Mode" this allows a fluent passthrough to the Unraid OS without having to mess around with configuring the virtual disks in a controller BIOS before being able to see the disks in Unraid.

3. Consider how many disks you want to use and purchase a chassis that will compliment all of them. Even if you only start with 2 or 3, you want room to grow. I am currently considering PCIe expansion for my system as a possible parity solution and then utilizing my 7th slot on top of that but that is on the horizon.

I think that is it! If you have any additional questions hit me up!

Cheers thank you, one system I’m just burning in now is a 11 drive system, 1 x ssd is, 8 x for the pool, with 1 hot spare, and 1x 760gb as a cache drive for vms , and a 1.5tb drive for  Vm;s .  2x nic GBE .  The performance is stunning.  For additional sata ports I used a £26 pci-e 8 port sata card, as board had 6 on board.

supprising the 6 core cpu and 12gb ram. 

Todays burn test will involve.

5 PC’s

1x MAC Air

1x MAC Pro

all backing up 60gb group of mixed files 3 times over....

next nas nas will be full SSD, but will take approx a month to validate, 12 1tb ssd + 1 cache + 1 log ! 

‘’Thanks for the input. 

‘’Rich 

• 4 months later...