Some files unprotected, in the share tab

ZiemaF

Hi
I have a problem, in the "shares" tab in the folders appdata, domains, system shows an orange triangle. Information is displayed that the files are unprotected.

The "-" sign appears in the SMB column, but I have the settings for these folders as "private".
I don't know what else to change.

shares private.png

shares some files.png

shares.png

Hi, When I set up my server a few weeks ago, I remember having the same issue, but with shares on my disk array. I realised that this was because parity was degraded, and rebuilding fixed the issue.

Your 'unprotected' shares are on your cache drive - I wonder whether you only have one SSD? I have two, so the data is RAID protected, I believe. Somebody cleverer than I am will know for certain.

Are you getting permissions and protection mixed up as Private is all about permission to access, while Protected refers to redundancy against drive failure?    

What you see is expected if the files are on the cache (which is the default location for those files for performance reasons) and you only have a single drive in the cache pool (so it has no redundancy).    You should set up a job to periodically back these up to the array.

Edited by itimpi

What are you trying to say?    You only have one cache drive so any shares that have their “Use Cache” setting to mean (Only or Prefer) that files are to be on the cache drive will be flagged with the orange symbol to say they are unprotected.   If you want files on the cache to be protected then you must have at least 2 drives in the cache.

I understand that I would have to have two CACHE disks, unfortunately CACHE disks enter the storage devices pool and at the moment I will buy only the Basic license (only 6 storage devices).
I meant if I had a well-set "mover" that moves cache to array. Now I have set it to moves data daily, is it better to set it to do it more often?
I know that these orange triangles won't disappear if I don't have two cache disks.

56 minutes ago, ZiemaF said:

I understand that I would have to have two CACHE disks, unfortunately CACHE disks enter the storage devices pool and at the moment I will buy only the Basic license (only 6 storage devices).
I meant if I had a well-set "mover" that moves cache to array. Now I have set it to moves data daily, is it better to set it to do it more often?
I know that these orange triangles won't disappear if I don't have two cache disks.

You should turn on the GUI Help for the Use Cache setting for the shares to understand what is happening.    Cache drives are MEANT to be part of User Shares by design.    The default settings for the shares you highlighted mean that files on the cache are not meant to be moved to the array by mover so it is irrelevant how frequently you run it.    As was mentioned what you are looking for in this particular case is for the files to be backed up to the array (I.e. a copy made) - you do not want them moved to the array as this would severely impact performance of docker containers and VMs.