Very New

Thanks for reading. I just want to say that I am very excited to have my Unraid up and running. It didn't go smoothly but after many hours of reading and Youtube I got it working and the basic CA apps (or plugins?) installed. 

Background: My problem is with Mover. I created a share called 'Movies' that utilizes disk 1 and 2. I have set Cache to 'preferred'. My understanding is that I can move movies from the USB (unassigned devices) to the array via the network on my main computer. That is, drag and drop between the file explorer looking at the usb drive and a file explorer looking at the 'exported' 'Movies' folder. (If this is not great please let me know, I was trying not to use the network as the USB is plugged into the unraid tower. Network usage is not bothering me right now, but ideally I would like to get away from it. Getting 163MB/s transfer avg). The files were written to the cache drive and I go to sleep. At 3 am the 'Mover' will start and move all the movies from cache to disk 1 and 2. 

So here is the issue: I have set the mover to execute at 20:10 (ideally it would be around 3am but i have been playing with it to automatically start at the soonest time). I have included the Syslog that shows it skips my disks because of docker and libvirt issues(?). I read on forums here that I need to stop the docker and vm services (which I don't know really how to do) and then run Mover again. I stopped my one factorio docker (no VMs) and executed Mover manually and got the same problem (see syslog). So nothing is copying.

It seems like this is a common problem for newbies, but many times I see people running tons of VMs and dockers. I am not on that level yet and just trying to learn one step at a time and get it to execute the way I understand. I am going to keep digging around on here for a solution but if there is a good 'super new and no bash experience' tutorial, I would greatly appreciate it. (of course if the bash scripts are written out, i can copy, paste, and learn, but without that, I probably will break something).

Cheers!

edit: added a picture of my Main

Unraid Shares.png

Unraid Shares Movies.png

Unraid Settings Scheduler.png

Unraid Syslog.png

Unraid Main.png

Edited by Physicsking
added screen cap of Main

You are confused about the various Use cache options. A common mistake.

Cache-prefer means try to keep the files on cache and if any wind up on the array, try to move them to cache.

What you want is cache-yes. This means write them to cache and move them to the array.

There is Help in the webUI. You can toggle on/off for the whole webUI using the Help (?) in the top bar, or you can toggle help for a setting by clicking on the label for that setting.

Here is a FAQ that goes into a lot more detail about the uses and effects of the various Use cache settings:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/#comment-537383

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

You probably want to set it to "Yes".  Preferred moves stuff from the array to the cache drive, and you'd want the opposite.  Pressing the "?" on the top right shows all the help text

Well I have seen your comment almost exactly like this on another topic and it didn't make sense until I read it here. Also, for some reason I never read that last sentence in the help drop down. It is working now. 

Also, I found a few tutorials from illuminated nerd and SpaceInvader One. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

You are confused about the various Use cache options. A common mistake.

Cache-prefer means try to keep the files on cache and if any wind up on the array, try to move them to cache.

What you want is cache-yes. This means write them to cache and move them to the array.

There is Help in the webUI. You can toggle on/off for the whole webUI using the Help (?) in the top bar, or you can toggle help for a setting by clicking on the label for that setting.

Here is a FAQ that goes into a lot more detail about the uses and effects of the various Use cache settings:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/#comment-537383

Thank you I got it running. Very slow (40MB/s), but running. I will check out this FAQ but could you preview something for me? Say I copy files A, B, and C to the Movies folder. I wait a day for the cache to move the files to the array. Then I copy more say files D, E, and C this time. If I accidentally moved file C again to the Cache on the next day when the cache is cleared, will this present a problem when the Mover runs again? Like will I have two C files?

8 hours ago, Physicsking said:

If I accidentally moved file C again to the Cache on the next day when the cache is cleared, will this present a problem when the Mover runs again? Like will I have two C files?

It could, if you copy directly to /mnt/cache using the console or a container. If you are doing it correctly and copy to the user share instead, the file will show as already existing and ask you if you wish to overwrite it.

The correct way to use a cache : yes share is to write to /mnt/user/share if you are using the console or a container. That way you see everything that is there already, and anything you add will automatically go to the cache first and be moved later. Using the disks directly, be it disk1, disk2, cache, etc is not a good idea for someone not familiar with how unraid works, for many reasons.

9 hours ago, Physicsking said:

Very slow (40MB/s)

This is not unusually slow for writes to the parity array. See this for more on how parity writes work and another setting that can make that faster (at the expense of spinning all disks):

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/50397-turbo-write/

48 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Using the disks directly, be it disk1, disk2, cache, etc is not a good idea for someone not familiar with how unraid works, for many reasons

Just wanted to repeat this. Don't share disks on the network. Only work with user shares, whether over the network or directly on the server. If you get into a situation where you think you need to work directly with a disk, ask for further advice.

Another thing that your question suggests you may not completely understand. Cache is part of the user shares, just like the array disks are. If you try to write a file to a user share, and that file already exists, whether on cache or array, then it is handled just as expected. If you agree to replace it, it will replace it on the specific disk where the file actually exists.