System completely unresponsive when copying data

DaMaus

Hi all!

This is my first (unraid) homeserver and so far i'm super happy with it, but i've come across a bit of a struggle lately.

Whenever i copy files directly to the server from my pc, either through filezilla or SMB, the server just goes completely bonkers after a short while (i guess when starting to calculate parity). The cpu goes 100% on all cores and my docker containers and VM's completely shut down until it's done, which is not ideal.

i'm running:
intel core i5 9400 (downclocked to 2.7ghz)
16GB ddr4-3000
4x Toshiba N300 4TB drives

if you need any more info, just ask :)

Edited by DaMaus
9 minutes ago, DaMaus said:

the server just goes completely bonkers after a short while (i guess when starting to calculate parity)

Parity is realtime. Every write to the array writes parity at the same time, so that would NOT happen "after a short while". What might happen after a very short while is RAM buffering would fill and the initial burst of speed related to that would settle down to the actual write speed.

9 minutes ago, DaMaus said:

if you need any more info, just ask

You should usually include the diagnostics when asking for help. Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post.

12 minutes ago, DaMaus said:

Hi all!

This is my first (unraid) homeserver and so far i'm super happy with it, but i've come across a bit of a struggle lately.

Whenever i copy files directly to the server from my pc, either through filezilla or SMB, the server just goes completely bonkers after a short while (i guess when starting to calculate parity). The cpu goes 100% on all cores and my docker containers and VM's completely shut down until it's done, which is not ideal.

i'm running:
intel core i5 9400 (downclocked to 2.7ghz)
16GB ddr4-3000
4x Toshiba N300 4TB drives

if you need any more info, just ask :)

downgrade to 6.67 to see if the issue is still there, 6.72 has the performance issue might lead to this

Edited by trott
27 minutes ago, trurl said:

Parity is realtime. Every write to the array writes parity at the same time, so that would NOT happen "after a short while". What might happen after a very short while is RAM buffering would fill and the initial burst of speed related to that would settle down to the actual write speed.

You should usually include the diagnostics when asking for help. Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post.

I'll include diagnostics as soon as i'm home! Just had a bit of time off and thought to post this :)

In response to the ram buffering, yeah i do notice a copy speed decrease after a bit of time, but don't really see this as a problem right now (because it's still going at like 60 MB / s), just the fact that all other systems just shut down when copying is what i'm trying to fix :)

24 minutes ago, trott said:

downgrade to 6.67 to see if the issue is still there, 6.72 has the performance issue might lead to this

i'll try this! thanks for the suggestion :) 

Edited by DaMaus
some extra explanation
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, an update for the peeps that find this topic, looking for an answer for the same issue:

- after replacing the cable for disk 2 (even though that disk wasn't used) the issue seems resolved :)

Which is still weird, since the issue only occurred when copying from Windows to the server, from macOS to server worked perfectly.