Share details of your unRaid server and what you use it for

MrCrispy

• 1 month later...

Post is getting old, but I need to stay awake at work. ;)

My specs are in the link of my signature, although it's a bit out-dated, I've updated my cache drive, swapped some drives in array (upped capacity), and in process of removing last Icy Dock bay for a Super Micro unit.  Cache is 2TB ssd; storage capacity is about 42TB; RTX 2070 & GTX1050 for VM's; Tripplite UPS (not luck getting it work with APC UPS plugin - so really helps with brownouts, line-conditioning, and clean shutdown IF I'm there).  Currently running Unraid 6.8.0-rc4.

Docker Apps:

Runs on Array startup:

Task-1 media gathering -  Sonarr, Coach Potato, and Transmission.

Task-2 media serving -  Plex Media server; stream to a Raspberry PI3 Plex client at home, a friend's Roku at their home, and I use it with various Plex client-apps when I'm away from house.

Start on-demand:

Task-3 video encoder - Handbrake; run when I need/want to re-encode video, strip out audio tracks and/or subtittles. 

Task-4 notebook - Dokuwiki.

Task-5 GUI file management for array - Dolphin, DupeGuru, QDirStat  (later two are hardly used).

Task-6 e-Doc library - Calibre, once I figure out how to white-list access to this service on my WAN, I'll run it all the time to share library to friend who's sharing my Plex. 

VM's  (In general to tinker around with an OS I'm curious about):

Daily driver & "primary gaming rig" - Windows 10, build 1809, allocated 32GB of RAM, 4 cpu-cores and their HT's (8 vcpu's),  RTX2070, KB & mouse, game-pad, and USB3 controller for some USB ports for VM.

MISC OTHER-VM's (usually started on-demand):

Another Win10 with VNC - (can't recall allocations, basically 16GB of RAM and 12+ vcpu's) for generating Rainbow tables - out of boredom and curiosity (started when I was playing with Kali Linux distro).

Another Win10 based template for testing Gandalf’s Windows 10PE x64 Redstone 5

Another 0-4 Linux based VM's, trying to find a distro I like and try and learn some proficiency with Linux;  lately I've been playing around with Arch and Manjaro distros.

A Hackintosh VM - Saw @SpaceInvaderOne MacInaBox Docker, so I played around with that for a little bit.

I haven't yet, but could see myself later, using Docker to setup/run a game server.

Edited by Jcloud
On 9/22/2019 at 5:20 PM, cyberspectre said:

It's also my HTPC

Can you elaborate on this or point me to more detail? I've seen a lot about plex dockers and hosting media for streaming to other boxes to play on TV's, but I don't remember anything about playing movies/etc directly from unraid to a TV. Thanks in advance.

17 hours ago, buxton said:

Can you elaborate on this or point me to more detail? I've seen a lot about plex dockers and hosting media for streaming to other boxes to play on TV's, but I don't remember anything about playing movies/etc directly from unraid to a TV. Thanks in advance.

Not from UnRaid, from a VM within UnRaid. The GTX-970 is passed through to a Windows VM, which is connected to my home theater receiver via HDMI. Not only is this perfect for console-style gaming on the couch, but it's also how we watch movies, etc. I run Plex as a docker container in UnRaid, and play content from it using the Plex client app for Windows.

• 5 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 8:30 PM, Jcloud said:

Post is getting old, but I need to stay awake at work. ;)

Tripplite UPS (not luck getting it work with APC UPS plugin - so really helps with brownouts, line-conditioning, and clean shutdown IF I'm there).  Currently running Unraid 6.8.0-rc4.

I just bought a TrippLite UPS. After looking through the forums it seems like others have communication issues with TrippLite as well.  Have you been able to figure out a solution to the communication problem via USB?

Edited by clambert